No announcement yet.

variable scopes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I target shoot more than hunt so use the max power more often but like the ability to lower the power for hunting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I adjust mine constantly depending on the situation. I dial is down when I'm stalking or when my kids are using it and up for long shots.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        So you’re aiming your rifle at something you’re not sure you want to shoot?

Really? You have never pointed your rifle pistol shotgun or anything at something you may or may not have intended to shoot while hunting? Hell you ever been duck hunting or pheasant hunting? That is the name of the game. You keep your chamber empty while ccw as well dont you following that same line of thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rarely adjust mine, never when hunting, usually on 6-8. I've put lace-on combs on most of my rifles so that they fit me good. Put a Leupi 10X on my 700 in 308 and Love It.

Comment

Don’t hunt without a variable scope on all my bolt guns. They all stay on lowest power to initially find target then adjust to desired zoom when it comes time to evaluate and pull the trigger.

3x-9x here in Texas for brush and hill country. Wide open longer shots nothing less than 4x-12x on those rifles, and even a 6.5x-20x on my 7mm. Love that scope, almost gets rid of the need for a spotting scope!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Really? You have never pointed your rifle pistol shotgun or anything at something you may or may not have intended to shoot while hunting? Hell you ever been duck hunting or pheasant hunting? That is the name of the game. You keep your chamber empty while ccw as well dont you following that same line of thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yep. Never know when that thing is just gonna go off and shoot of a kneecap.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                Don’t hunt without a variable scope on all my bolt guns. They all stay on lowest power to initially find target then adjust to desired zoom when it comes time to evaluate and pull the trigger.

3x-9x here in Texas for brush and hill country. Wide open longer shots nothing less than 4x-12x on those rifles, and even a 6.5x-20x on my 7mm. Love that scope, almost gets rid of the need for a spotting scope!

Would love to get a 4-12X on my Varmint .243 but also a fixed 6X on my .270
                . Still considering the Nikon.

Comment

??? Use it all the time... keep it low to make sure i find it and then zoom in. Also keep it low running round the ranch never know when you'll jump a pig... i use the binos to scan but use the variable power all the time too

Comment

So you’re aiming your rifle at something you’re not sure you want to shoot?
                    This is ignorant... your a liar if you say you have never used scope in low light to verify somthing under feeder or if that shadow is a pig or a juniper bush... but saftey on and finger off trigger...

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                      This is ignorant... your a liar if you say you have never used scope in low light to verify somthing under feeder or if that shadow is a pig or a juniper bush... but saftey on and finger off trigger...
                      I have binoculars for that.

Comment

In all honesty it was a joke. It’s even funnier now that y’all got your panties in a wad

Comment

In all honesty it was a joke. It’s even funnier now that y’all got your panties in a wad

I knew it was a joke after your 2nd post but.......,

You do bring up a good point about the 4 rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Elmer Keith said Jack O'connor was a horses azz. If your old enough to remember, Elmer could not stand Jack and always made comments about him in his writings.

Comment

I am like some you fellers and put my scope on low power for walking and stalking, and mid to high power for stand hunting. When I am shooting targets at the bench, I usually dont set up on high power because of the mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                                Jack would change his mind with today's scopes!! It voids the whole need for anyone even needing a spotting scope.

I love them...zoom it in to confirm age concerns / look for little kickers / detail the antlers at most any distance / etc. Outstanding tool & would rather have quality glass on a marginal rifle vs the counter.

Heck, I'm switching VX-6's on my 280AI this year...going from 3-18 to a 4-24.

The main thing is to remember to turn it back down when you are done checking. I've missed a yote or two at close range with the power setting not being backed down to the 6x area.

10x EL's for binos & long stretch viewing for eye strain.
                                Bingo. I think ole Jack would have a different feeling if he hunted today.

Or perhaps he would still be hunting with a 270 and a 6x weaver.

One of the greatest advancements we've seen is the recent increase in optics quality. Take advantage of it if you have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X