Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Most Archery Public Land DIY OTC Elk Hunts End Up......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my sixth year in a row to go - since we started back. This was my first year to not at least draw on an elk. I've killed two bulls in 6 years, and not connected on 3 other trips. All that being said, I've already started preparing for next year. It is one of the best experiences ever. We have a great camp and look forward to it every year.

Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good thread

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
        I read your post. Great recap of your hunt. Been there, done that. No one will believe how hard it is until you have done it. You gained some hard earned and valuable experience. Keep after them!!!! Here is a picture from one of my pack in hunts in the Lizard Head Wilderness. Our camp was at 11,250 ft.
        [ATTACH]873411[/ATTACH]
        Not sure where we hunted but Lizard Head was one of the nearby passes or something because I remember that name

I think we were in San Juan but I would have to look at some maps as it was years ago

Comment

Its always worth every penny spent.

Comment

Great stuff for beginniers looking into archery elk. Would it be any better using the boom stick success wise if you are running out of time?

Comment

I've done four DIY hunts many years ago. I truly loved it but at a time in life where having limited time and resources I chose to use them to hunt more closer to home. Now I'm older and have more discretionary time and money but I'm not sure I'm physically up for that any more. An outfitted drop camp is more appealing to me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Me and a buddy are starting to plan this for next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love private land

Comment

when I lived in the Rockies(Colorado-2yrs, Montana-1.5yrs, Wyoming - 4yrs) I was in my late 20's and in very good shape. I was able to scout daily because I was in the oilfield and had to travel between rigs daily. I would find a spot where the elk would be and could almost set my clock by them. But when opening day came and the sea of orange converged on the mountains, poof they were gone. I had a friend with an airplane and we could witness herds moving 25-30miles over night. so yes elk hunting is very hard but dog gone it was great to see some of the things I saw that has been played back in my memory for many years and many to come. I did manage to get a couple.

Comment

This was to be the year for my first lesson. Harvey occurred and I volunteered to respond. While I missed out on an opportunity to learn about elk hunting, I witness a lot of human generosity/compassion that has helped restore some of my faith in humanity... If I had to do it over again, I would volunteer again and hope for an opportunity to assist folks in need.

Having stated this, I am already planning for next year, taking notes and will be asking a lot of questions. Hopefully more experianced hunters will share their experiances and insight. Here are a couple of questions that come to mind just from reading the original post:

1) Is it best to hunt the start of bow season or towards the end?? I ask due to my curiosity as to whether everyone shows up the first week or even a week prior putting all of the elk on edge and on the move. Would hunting the latter part of the season allow for less pressure and elk to have settled in to less movement??

2) I understand the concept of getting far away from the roads. I am however concerned that when I defy the odd and kill an elk I will be hard pressed to perserve the meat?? This also plays a bit in the hunting later on during the season as I imaging temps would be cooler. Some of you experianced hunters please in part and or share your wisdom...

Big thanks to the OP and the fellas that have added information...
                      Last edited by Pedernal; 09-20-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I have done the DIY bow elk hunt 8 times. I have shot at elk twice and taken one elk (missed the other). I have seen a few elk on public land near access points, but the majority of them were more than 3 miles in. They acted pretty normal when you get 9 miles in.

One thing that I always remember is something that I heard early on in my elk hunting career "make something happen". If nothing is happening, "make something happen". Don't just keep doing the same thing if it isn't working.

Comment

I recommend that all flatlanders give a go, one day license & will may be out of reach, 1974 cost was 25.00 for either sex.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                            This was to be the year for my first lesson. Harvey occurred and I volunteered to respond. While I missed out on an opportunity to learn about elk hunting, I witness a lot of human generosity/compassion that has helped restore some of my faith in humanity... If I had to do it over again, I would volunteer again and hope for an opportunity to assist folks in need.

Having stated this, I am already planning for next year, taking notes and will be asking a lot of questions. Hopefully more experianced hunters will share their experiances and insight. Here are a couple of questions that come to mind just from reading the original post:

1) Is it best to hunt the start of bow season or towards the end?? I ask due to my curiosity as to whether everyone shows up the first week or even a week prior putting all of the elk on edge and on the move. Would hunting the latter part of the season allow for less pressure and elk to have settled in to less movement??

2) I understand the concept of getting far away from the roads. I am however concerned that when I defy the odd and kill an elk I will be hard pressed to perserve the meat?? This also plays a bit in the hunting later on during the season as I imaging temps would be cooler. Some of you experianced hunters please in part and or share your wisdom...

Big thanks to the OP and the fellas that have added information...
                            1 - Depends on how hot it is and if you will be hunting private or public lands. IMO - Later is better because you can sometimes hear them.
                            2 - I wouldn't worry about it. Be prepared to work your rear off when you get one. You pay the State money for the elk. I never waste meat even on hogs but if I pay for an elk and can't get all the meat out it wouldn't bother me. You may understand after 4-5 years of eating tag soup.

Comment

Spot on Mike. For OTC, go for the hunt, the experience, the memory's.
                              The experience is the banana split, if you kill one, that's the cherry on top.

My #1 advice to new elk hunters is stay mobile. Don't pin yourself down to 1 area, that's why I am not a big fan of packing in to camp.

As far as it being tough, I have killed several, that afterward I wished I had not, but I survived and the memory's will last forever.

Comment

TTT

let's get more experienced hunters to add their insight!!

Comment

Working...
                                X