DFW Storm and Insurance Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFW Storm and Insurance Advice

Most know the big storms that hit north texas on sunday. Unbelievable that only one death is being reported with all the trees and power lines down. I think we exceeded the 70 mph winds they reported at Love Field.

Anyway, having never made a homeowners claim, would like to get some advice on whether you let the contractors negotiate with your insurance company. I think i'd like to do that myself and only request they make the bids to me. So many offer to cover your deductible so they can jack up the price of the work. I also have so much damage, i don't think any one roofing company can do it all (they will surely claim that they can).

So what would you suggest? Right now, i'm making a list of the damage before i make a claim with Allstate. So far i have:

1. Roof (shingles)
    2. Roof attic vents
    3. Tree limbs hanging by a thread
    4. windows broken
    5. siding paint chipped
    6. fence dented by hail
    7. ac condenser dented by hail
    8. gutters?
    Attached Files

roof pic
    Attached Files

Comment

I have been through a couple of storms with home damage. I have a roofer I trust and had him there with the adjuster for the inspection of the damage. That way they are on the same page. I used Quick roofing, Chad Quick is a good guy.

Just find a good roofer that knows his stuff and let him deal with the adjuster and give you a quality job. Most good roofing companies can help you with other trades for a smoother job (windows, gutters).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Call the insurance company and get in the rotation. The roofer will most likely tell you that. The insurance company will come out and inspect. They did our house with a drone. I was able to see pictures of rusted nail heads and places where the insulators/granules were worn off (19 year old roof). I thought it would be a big ordeal, but it wasn't! FWIW, I would stick with a (one) contractor.

Comment

Stay out of it! Let your insurance company and the adjuster handle everything. If you have a question, contact the adjuster or your agent.

I have had the 3rd roof just put on after a storm last May and all I have ever done is to contact my insurance agent, let the adjuster do his work and inspect the final job when done. Never had a problem and everytime the roofer or contractor has covered the deductible. That is what a good agent will do for you, take care of you!

Comment

My girl friend lives at Elan City Lights and her building collapsed. She has no clue when she will see insurance money for her car but her apartment unit is on the opposite side that was hit by the crane so everything inside is fine.

Comment

Call your insurance agent. You are doing his job. If you are with Allstate call your agent. Not the 1-800 number. He is there to help YOU!!! He will give you advise on how to move forward. I would get a roofer that I trust out to look at it also

Comment

I've never liked the idea of letting the roofer (or whomever) 'negotiate' on my behalf with the insurance company - it seems like too much opportunity for shenanigans.
                However, a good friend is a contractor that works on damaged buildings (fire, etc.). He said that he has to use the respective insurance company's software to do his bid anyway, so he can't just add stuff or charge more for each sheet of sheetrock, etc. He inputs the materials and the insurance company software tabulates totals.
                And besides, didn't we agree to our deductible when we bought the insurance policy? Working some side deal to avoid the deductible has always seemed unethical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                  I've never liked the idea of letting the roofer (or whomever) 'negotiate' on my behalf with the insurance company - it seems like too much opportunity for shenanigans.
                  However, a good friend is a contractor that works on damaged buildings (fire, etc.). He said that he has to use the respective insurance company's software to do his bid anyway, so he can't just add stuff or charge more for each sheet of sheetrock, etc. He inputs the materials and the insurance company software tabulates totals.
                  And besides, didn't we agree to our deductible when we bought the insurance policy? Working some side deal to avoid the deductible has always seemed unethical to me.
                  It's highly illegal too and can get yourself in a heap of trouble.

Comment

Allstate is pretty well known for being a nightmare to deal with when it comes to hail/wind claims. Get yourself a good roofer and let them handle your claim, because Allstate is notorious for denying "no brainer" claims. I am sending you a PM.

Comment

My boss had an adjuster out this morning. He uses esurance which I think is Allstate. They doing a new roof, gutters, siding, garage doors, grill and I think a couple windows

Comment

I have zero issue paying the deductible out of pocket. Guessing the total will be big. Just noticed my metal garage doors are hail damaged today as well. First appt for adjuster is next Wednesday. They must be slammed. Also learned today that this was considered a cat claim or catastrophe claim. Seems like that has added to the timeline.

Fence pic attached.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

New roof and fence for sure...

Comment

Don’t forget what insurance is...it’s one company paying you to make you whole again, not profit. That’s why contractors use the same (exactimate) software as adjusters. Having been on both sides of the table, I can say it works best when the two people, one who knows the damage and one who knows how to fix it come to an agreement on your behalf. The only shenanigans come from the one who knows the damage gives you $40,000 to fix it, and you try to find a contractor for $20,000 to come out ahead. That $20,000 in your pocket isn’t meant for you to begin with.

Comment

Unless the damage is unbearable... wait until after all the summer storms before you make a claim. You could possibly be hit again and wouldn’t want to make 2 claims

Comment

Working...
                              X