Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Yep. As long as it's not from a feeder.

Did your dad take up bass or crappie fishing out there? I'd prob be after the crappie.

He goes occasionally. Not like he thought he would. Moved grandma in down the street so that keeps him super busy. He’s doing good though. I need to get out there and chase some crappie soon myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So I have a question/ thought. I'm not going to say where, but I past on a really nice 2 year maybe 3 year buck Saturday and then last night my buddy past on the same deer. We both had the same thought as to, in about another year or 2 he is going to be a massive deer. He is already 15-16" wide and decently tall.

However, we both have this cloud of doubt over our heads. A lot of public land hunters do not have the same self control. My buddy even drew on him, but decided not too drop the hammer.

When one of you has a tempting deer on public land would you just drop him or would you pass in hopes that you see him next year? If we don't see him again all season then I will assume he was harvested and regret not dropping him, but I have that sliver of hope that he isn't killed.

Comment

Originally posted by DFW Rusty View Post
        So I have a question/ thought. I'm not going to say where, but I past on a really nice 2 year maybe 3 year buck Saturday and then last night my buddy past on the same deer. We both had the same thought as to, in about another year or 2 he is going to be a massive deer. He is already 15-16" wide and decently tall.

However, we both have this cloud of doubt over our heads. A lot of public land hunters do not have the same self control. My buddy even drew on him, but decided not too drop the hammer.

When one of you has a tempting deer on public land would you just drop him or would you pass in hopes that you see him next year? If we don't see him again all season then I will assume he was harvested and regret not dropping him, but I have that sliver of hope that he isn't killed.
        Well, if there's enough of us that have the same attitude, then some of those bucks will slip through the cracks and then maybe there's chance we'll get a shot at a nice one, one of these days. If you shoot him now, and then you regret it later once he's laying they're on the ground, thinking gosh what he could've have grown up to be, it's not worth it.....even on public land.

Comment

Shoot a doe or spike if you got the itch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
            Shoot a doe or spike if you got the itch.
            It's not about the itch. It's about banking on the thought that others want good mature deer as well. We are passing for now. However, with all the hunter traffic in the woods and I'm already battling one inconsiderate hunter (not going to get into details on that) it really puts some doubt as to other public land hunters having any kind of game management in mind. This deer is a solid deer now, next year he will be a good shooter and if he makes it 2-3 more years he might start pushing trophy caliber. I would say 90% of bucks around Whitney don't make it past 4-5 years due to anxious hunters.

I do however have a spike coming into one of my feeders on private land. Gonna wait until rifle season to nab him. He is a good mature buck too, fork on one side and straight as an arrow on the other.

Comment

I won't shoot a buck unless I think he's at least 5.5. I had a decent 8 at 13 yards on opening morning but passed because he looked only 3 or 4. Most people will shoot the first legal buck they see but there's still some mature bucks out there. If I don't get one that's fine. I'd rather just shoot does and hogs and look for sheds in the spring than shoot a young buck.

Comment

If you shoot him, you become part of the problem. Yeah, there are a lot of guys that will shoot anything that walks and that sucks....don't be one of those guys. Don't have the "If I don't shot him, some one else will" mentality. There's a lot of season left.....patience.

Comment

I am new to this forum and new to public land. I live in the DFW and am excited to get out in the field. I have a buddy that has some land in Clifton, but there are times where we cannot hunt. So public land it is. I just had my first taste of it at Lake Benbrook on the Corp land there and loved it. I didn't get anything though. Just want to apologize if I run into anyone and mess up their hunt. I will do my best to stay out of the way. I am pretty excited to get out in the field!

Comment

I hunt for the meat don't care about the rack, no pun intended.

Comment

I have seen many mature bucks on Whitney. I shot one a few years ago that was probably 8+. I've seen a couple this year that are definitely 5.5++. My point is that bucks do slip through the cracks. Give the young ones a chance to grow, and hopefully they will be around in another couple years.

I did have a really great 3.5yo deer that I saw regularly last year that disappeared around the end of season and haven't seen him in the same area yet this year. Really wish I couldve seen what he'd be this year or next, but I'm guessing he made someone very happy.

Comment

It's hot out here today! Second weekend in a row. I missed a hog last Saturday, shot under her. Saw a doe with fawn this morning and let go. Also saw hogs but just before drawing bow back a big bore ran them all off. Put in a lot of work this summer, I think it may pay off this season, I hope! Good Luck everyone and be safe!

Comment

Leaving the house so I'll be there in 2 hours.

Comment

Who's hunting today besides my son and I?

Comment

I got busted.

Comment

I got in my stand at 8. Running late, but haven't been seeing anything till about 6:30 in the evenings anyway. Guess the corner of my bag of corn was open a little bit because the bag was smaller when I got to my spot. Guy I work with had a funeral to go to and we are slow at work right now so I asked the boss if I could just take a vacation day today. Didn't want to sit up there by myself with not a lot to do so he said sure if you want to. So I went hunting today. Hunting tomorrow evening to. Good luck storm. Hope you and your boy get something.

Comment

Working...
                                X