Bicycle help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicycle help...

I have recently gotten back into riding my bike with some busted up old Marine buddies from our local MCL detachment. I have been using my Schwinn Mountain Bike on the road but it is wearing my old, fat, out of shape azz out!!! They have "catrike" laydown looking things that were donated to them by Wounded Warrior Foundation and I honestly cant keep up!!! I was looking at getting a decent road bike but the money tree I planted years ago hasn't produced!!!! I have a budget of $500.

What do the GS bicycle guru's suggest???

Check Amazon... Saw a few decent Schwinn Road Bikes on thee in the 200-300 range...
    Probably a decent beginner bike....

Funny you should post about bikes...got mine out last night and tuned it up. Gonna get my big Ol' Behind back on it too and try to get into Bikini shape !! HAHAHAHA

Comment

You will be able to find a decent used bike for that price like one that sold for $1,000+ just a few years ago. There are usually a lot of them on craigslist. First thing you need to determine is what size frame you need. If you buy one that is too big or too small it will be impossible to make the adjustments necessary to get a good/comfortable fit. Here is a general guideline: https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-to...izer/road-bike
      After you buy one I would recommend you take it in to a shop for a tune up and maybe a fitting. A tuneup will true the wheels, inspect/adjust brakes and the drivetrain. The cables may need tightening and the derailleur adjusted for smooth shifting. A fitting is important whether you do it yourself (lots of tips online) or have a shop do it. Proper seat position - height as well as fore/aft - and handlebar position will make a big difference on comfort and how efficiently you are putting power to the pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        You will be able to find a decent used bike for that price like one that sold for $1,000+ just a few years ago. There are usually a lot of them on craigslist. First thing you need to determine is what size frame you need. If you buy one that is too big or too small it will be impossible to make the adjustments necessary to get a good/comfortable fit. Here is a general guideline: https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-to...izer/road-bike
        After you buy one I would recommend you take it in to a shop for a tune up and maybe a fitting. A tuneup will true the wheels, inspect/adjust brakes and the drivetrain. The cables may need tightening and the derailleur adjusted for smooth shifting. A fitting is important whether you do it yourself (lots of tips online) or have a shop do it. Proper seat position - height as well as fore/aft - and handlebar position will make a big difference on comfort and how efficiently you are putting power to the pedals.
        Very good advice here.

Comment

Jerp nailed it. Find out what size bike you need and scour Craigslist and eBay for used bikes that haven't been used very much. Lots of people spend big $ on a bike and it sits in their garage for a couple of years.

Comment

^^^^ X2 ^^^^,

I would add getting a quality brand bike as well. Trust me, you will recognize the difference immediately. Some of the names I like are Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, & Giant. I just looked, briefly. There are options on there right now. As the price goes up you are basically paying for better component packages, which again you will notice the difference.

Comment

You will get a decent bike under $500. There is a lot of road bikes under this budget. You can go for the Schwinn Volare 1300 bike. This awesome road bikes under this budget.

Do you know your frame size? Before buying you can read reviews and sizing info on this bike on the online. Happy Riding.

Comment

Nailed it! I have bought a few over the years on Craigslist. Even bought one that wasn't my size and resold it and made some $$$$ on it that I used toward my next bike. You can get a really decent bike for 3-400 on CL and then a little left over for a professional tuneup. Watch out for traffic!!

Comment

Working...
                X