No announcement yet.

What caliber next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I think I've got it narrowed down to 25-06AI, for a lighter weight, lower recoil deer killer, or 280AI for a mid weight all around gun. Leaning more towards the 25-06AI and reserve a magnum boltface action I have for a custom 7mm magnum of some sort.

Neither would require a change in bolt head, brass should be easy to acquire or form if needed, fairly efficient in powder consumption and common powders with other rounds I shoot. I've never had a 25 caliber before, so it would be a fun experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake
      For a thumper you could do a .416 Winchester Express which is basically a .416 Rigby in ballistics loaded in a 30.06 case. Ain't everybody got one of these.
      I have a couple of Rigbys and my handloads do 2600fps with 400 gr Barnes. There is no way in the world that a .416 cartridge based off a 30-06 case is going to have the ballistics of a 416 Rigby. Case capacity of a 06 is a tad over 60grs while the Rigby is well over 100grs.

I would keep it simple and go with a 280 Rem or the improved version.
      Last edited by sendit; 09-18-2016, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I'm really interested in the new Weatherby 6.5 - 300 Wby Mag cartridge. OTS these cartridges have been consistent and reliable. A little trigger work, accurized on your gun, and excellent optics you can not go wrong. This is a no joke, sledge hammer TAC driver in my opinion. Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you'll be just fine with your own choice.

Comment

338/06 or 35 wheelen

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
            Okay, I think I've got it narrowed down to 25-06AI, for a lighter weight, lower recoil deer killer, or 280AI for a mid weight all around gun. Leaning more towards the 25-06AI and reserve a magnum boltface action I have for a custom 7mm magnum of some sort.

Neither would require a change in bolt head, brass should be easy to acquire or form if needed, fairly efficient in powder consumption and common powders with other rounds I shoot. I've never had a 25 caliber before, so it would be a fun experiment.

Pretty easy to reform the brass to .25.
            All you need is the big RCBS dual arm rockchucker press and dies and good case lube.

Comment

338/06 AI in a well balance 21-23" version is fun! I can loan you a go gauge if you decide to go this route

I've been pushing 225gr TSXs at 2650 fps but got some 210s for next to nothing so will be playing with those next

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                I have a couple of Rigbys and my handloads do 2600fps with 400 gr Barnes. There is no way in the world that a .416 cartridge based off a 30-06 case is going to have the ballistics of a 416 Rigby. Case capacity of a 06 is a tad over 60grs while the Rigby is well over 100grs.

I would keep it simple and go with a 280 Rem or the improved version.
                My bad. The 416 Win Express was loaded in a .404 Jeffery case which would require bolt face work. These would push a 400 gr bullet to 2350fps and a 300gr pill to 2700fps. This round developed in 1979 never got off the ground.

If 416 is used in a 30-06 case the case has to be improved for a shoulder to head space on and holds approx 72.5 gr.

Comment

So many thoughts and ideas come to mind. I assume this is going to be a custom build...

On the light to side I'd suggest a 240 WBY with a fast twist for the 115 Berger. I'm just about done tuning mine and it's at .25moa at 200 yards at 3100 fps. You could go with the 240 Gibbs and have a more exotic round with a little more case capacity but I don't think it will make much if any difference. It's a deer and hog hammer, killed 2 deer and 3 hogs with the 105 last year.

On the heavier side, I have the two following ideas both with fast twist and throated long.

270 wsm with the 170 berger

7-300 practical (300wm) with the 180 or 195 berger.

The last is next on my list.

Comment

Love my 338-06

Comment

257 Roberts?

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        So many thoughts and ideas come to mind. I assume this is going to be a custom build...

On the light to side I'd suggest a 240 WBY with a fast twist for the 115 Berger. I'm just about done tuning mine and it's at .25moa at 200 yards at 3100 fps. You could go with the 240 Gibbs and have a more exotic round with a little more case capacity but I don't think it will make much if any difference. It's a deer and hog hammer, killed 2 deer and 3 hogs with the 105 last year.

On the heavier side, I have the two following ideas both with fast twist and throated long.

270 wsm with the 170 berger

7-300 practical (300wm) with the 180 or 195 berger.

The last is next on my list.
                        That practical is high on my list as well, except the original designer seemed to go through a lot of steps to form the case. There is a similar designed round, called the 7mm Rogue, that supposedly is a simple single pass neck down on the 300WM case, then fire form it. Basically becomes a 7mm-300WM Ackley Improved. He claims velocity on par with the Gunwerks 7mmLRM.

I'm not familiar with belted cases, as my 7mm Mag is the only one I have and I haven't messed with it yet, but I understand some folks have problems loading the belted cases. That said, according to the designer of the Rogue, once you fire form the brass, you just neck size and headspace off the shoulder and the belt has no function.

Comment

If there is even a slight possibility that the rifle could be sold in the future I'd ditch the Savage and start with something else. Nothing wrong with the Savage unless you put a lot of money in it and try to sell it. Short action calibers in long action rifles it where it's at. I'd do a 7mm08 on a long action. That way you can seat those vld's out as far as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            If there is even a slight possibility that the rifle could be sold in the future I'd ditch the Savage and start with something else. Nothing wrong with the Savage unless you put a lot of money in it and try to sell it. Short action calibers in long action rifles it where it's at. I'd do a 7mm08 on a long action. That way you can seat those vld's out as far as you want.
                            Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned with that. Doesn't matter what action I use, I'll never get my money back on a custom, especially if I go with something non-standard. The beauty of the Savage is, if I decide I don't care for the caliber for whatever reason, I can swap barrels again for just the cost of the barrel, then possibly sell the first barrel for a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post

Given what you own already I would go 280AI, enjoy 7 mag performance on less recoil & powder and save you mag bolt face for a big thumper like 300 RUM or 338 RUM

My 7mag has gathered dust since I built my 280 AI

Comment

keep 30-06 & sell all the others. Buy beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X