X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRT:

I like your positive tone: "Time and success WILL change that."

Comment

Actually it's a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. And I'm going to keep it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I've just gotta find some pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I've just gotta find some pigs.

Come to GRXH 2018 and Ill push some to you.

Comment

I shoot both, but I mostly only use the compound when im sitting on the ground on my butt with thick overhead cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              Come to GRXH 2018 and Ill push some to you.
              Not sure what that is but it sounds like a blast. However I really hope that I kill twenty or more before then.

Comment

Almost 2 years ago I bought a G5 and I still shoot it a good bit, did that today just for fun. In heavy winds it's good to challenge yourself. I also still hunt with the compound. I like my longbow but currently just do not have the skills to be as efficient as I want. Sure I hunt with my longbow as well, but my shots are considerably closer then 20 yards. Like you said to begin with. If I am paying then I want a little more assurance. To me it is more about the reason I am there. If it is more to put meat in the freezer or a paid situation, and my rifle is not an option, then I carry the compound, if it's just to relax and enjoy my time, I carry my longbow and if I happen to get that close chance I will try it.

Comment

Im hoping someday i can be as efficient with a trad bow as I am with a compound but time is against me on that. I may have just enough time to go from a wanna be to a never was.

Comment

Won't stop me from working at it though.

Comment

I finally went all in this year, and got rid of all my compounds. Nothing wrong with shooting both, just needed to give it an honest shot for myself. I was guilty of getting close to big critters with the stick and not closing the deal. Then run home grab the compound and shoot one. Now, I've shot enough stuff that not killing isn't to big of a deal (I'm not a guy that is ok not shooting animals, I just understand that if I normally shoot 15-20 animals with the compound a year. I'll probably shoot half that with the stick).

If I get around to it, I'm hoping to post about how the season goes. Have a pile of tags this year, elk, muledeer, whitetail (5 tags), antelope(3 tags), turkey, lion, and head down for axis, aoudad, hogs next week! Will see how it goes!

Comment

It works both ways. I shot both for a while and then sold my compound. Things were great until I started battling target panic. The time came when I sold all my trad bows and bought a compound. I even shoot a gun sometimes!!

Comment

I shot nothing but a recurve for over ten years. Then last year I broke down and bought a compound after the recurve cost me a mule deer that took me 4 years to draw a tag for. It turns out that the compound is pretty fun because you actually have a good chance of killing any animals you see. Im thinking that you have to be tougher to hunt with a compound too. Not only do you have to carry around a boat anchor all day but you end up carrying a lot more dead animals too!

Ill probably keep shooting both bows for a long long time. They both have their place.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Im hoping someday i can be as efficient with a trad bow as I am with a compound but time is against me on that. I may have just enough time to go from a wanna be to a never was.

The longer you switch hunt, the longer it will take. Anytime you hunt with something other than the trad bow, you take away your opportunities, and reinforce the difference between the two. You widen the gap even further.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny thing... I never "feel" like I miss out on game taken by not hunting with a compound. My setups are no different, therefore, shots will be the same distance. I haven't hunted with a compound in over 15 yrs, but, I remember the fact that I setup no different. It's always the same "relativity"... People think you're crazy for hunting with a compound when you could be hunting with a gun "what if you see a big un at 80 yds?!!" Then youre huntin with a trad bow when you could be huntin with a compound "what ya gonna do when you have a shot at a big un at 35 yds?!!" It will always be this way I guess. But, I set myself up for inside of 20 yd shots, and if something comes by out of my range, oh well! Cuz, you guessed it...that's why we call it "hunting". As long as the deer that came by out of range has no clue I'm there, maybe I'll get another crack at em! I am content with the fact that I know if I do my part, on the shootin side, and the hunting knowledge/woodsmanship side, I'll have opportunities to kill plenty of animals. But, I'll commend ya DRT, that if you ain't "comfortable" yet with your recurve, you don't want to go out and wound something... That will just make it worse on you wanting to hunt "only" with your recurve. BUT, do not think you'll get to the point where you're NEVER gonna wound/miss an animal now and then, cuz it is gonna happen! Now, nobody take this like "Rusty is ok with wounding and missing". NOT TRUE! Just know that sometimes WE WILL screw up, and that's with a trad bow, compound, or gun. It ain't an automatic thing to kill somethin with any weapon. We should always do our best to try to be "perfect" but, in reality, it's a never ending journey. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I sat in a tree on my place in Missouri last year and watched the only legal buck I save in the general season way past 100 yards while I had my compound in the tree with me. I can live with eating tag soup. Deer on the ranch or a lease watching a feeder, recurve no question.

Elk in Colorado is going to be the compound. I have but a few days and one shot if I'm lucky so I'm going with my best chance of success.

Comment

Working...
                                X