Spring has sprung !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    These are the peas I planted on my Good Springs lease on April 25th, pictured in post #64. They are off and running !
    Man those plots are taking off! Looking good

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
      When do you now clover (when does it bloom?)
      It will bloom several times in spring and summer depending on growth ( moisture, fertilizer, temperatures). When it blooms, you'll know it. Wait until the seed heads ripen and clip the tops off. Never mow it when it's suffering through heat and don't mow it less than 6"/8" high. Eat to mow early morning or late afternoon IMO. Right before a rain if possible.

Comment

Many thanks. I'm planting a few acres of clover for the first time this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
          Man those plots are taking off! Looking good
          Thanks ! I hope my others do too.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
            Many thanks. I'm planting a few acres of clover for the first time this fall.
            You're welcome ! I was on my phone when posting my reply. It should have read " Best to mow it early morning........" Fat fingers and sweaty glasses !

Comment

Man those plots look good. I'll try and swipe a picture of mine again. They are really going good now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]856461[/ATTACH]

I started a new plot and this was my initial shredding.

I trimmed all the trees up and cleared out some huisache and cut back a Prickly Ash(toothache tree).

Sprayed 3 big cactus patches with Remedy Ultra and diesel mix, the vines wilted within a few hours.
                Last edited by Radar; 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I have to wait about a month to shred again and scrap off the dead cactus patches. Soil samples sent off and hoping to create a clover field here. This plot is very secluded and the soil is sandy loam that drains well. Clover may not be the right legume here, I will need to bend a few ears and make a call or two.

This plot measures out 40' x 260' which is close to a 1/4 acre.

Comment

The dawgs and I was wore out from clearing, cutting and cussing. We stayed in the travel trailer and sat under the awning, I drank a real cold Lonestar and they took a siesta. That is Bonnie and Clyde. Clyde the white dawg was hit from an owl yesterday, he in the hospital right now. Got about 20 stitches to sew is hide up.

Comment

Dang Radar ! You need to camo Clyde, he's too good a target ! Hope he comes out all right.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        I have to wait about a month to shred again and scrap off the dead cactus patches. Soil samples sent off and hoping to create a clover field here. This plot is very secluded and the soil is sandy loam that drains well. Clover may not be the right legume here, I will need to bend a few ears and make a call or two.

This plot measures out 40' x 260' which is close to a 1/4 acre.
                        If clover doesn't work for you, Whitetail Institute has a product called Extreme for well drained soils. It works well in sandy soil and the deer like it. There are three different plants in it. I've grown it a couple years but had grass problems where I had it. I didn't take care of it as well as I should have, as I was working then, and I let the grass grow too long. Good news, bad news is: You can spray Cleth for the grasses, but as far as I know, you can't spray any kind of broadleaf weed killer on it, unlike clover. You can mow it high, like clover, and that will keep the weeds down somewhat. Good luck with that plot and let us know how it does.

Comment

My wife let the dogs out of the house yesterday and he took after a squirrel. She said he was getting close to the squirrel and an owl flew down and hit him in the back and latched onto him. Knocked him about a foot up in the air and rolled him. Ripped his side open about 4 inches.
                          I am wondering if he thinks the squirrel put some judo on him

Comment

If clover doesn't work for you, Whitetail Institute has a product called Extreme for well drained soils. It works well in sandy soil and the deer like it. There are three different plants in it. I've grown it a couple years but had grass problems where I had it. I didn't take care of it as well as I should have, as I was working then, and I let the grass grow too long. Good news, bad news is: You can spray Cleth for the grasses, but as far as I know, you can't spray any kind of broadleaf weed killer on it, unlike clover. You can mow it high, like clover, and that will keep the weeds down somewhat. Good luck with that plot and let us know how it does.
                            Is this stuff an Annual?

Comment

Dang Radar ! You need to camo Clyde, he's too good a target ! Hope he comes out all right.

Old Clyde's war wound, goes all they way down to his pee bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                Is this stuff an Annual?
                                No Sir. It's a perennial. My deer liked it as well as the clover, but I just didn't tend it as well as I should have. I may have another spot for it on another place I hunt. Gonna try clover there this fall, but I don't know how that's gonna work. It's pretty sandy. If the clover doesn't thrive, I'm going with Extreme.

I hate it about Clyde, but looks like you got him fixed up !

Comment

Working...
                                X