Shot The Deerman 3D Today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot it at Cowtown today and I really like the format. No gimme's on this course.
    It was very challenging (for me anyways) but I really enjoyed it. I wish all 3D courses used this format.
    I shot lousy but that is all too normal for me. All the more reason I need to practice more.

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    Shot it at Cowtown today and I really like the format. No gimme's on this course.
    It was very challenging (for me anyways) but I really enjoyed it. I wish all 3D courses used this format.
    I shot lousy but that is all too normal for me. All the more reason I need to practice more.
    I really like the format also. Haven't shot one in a long time.

Thinking seriously about going to the championship in Ada Oklahoma this year.

Rick

Comment

So, did you have any -5’s? They will make a scorecard look flat ugly in no time!!! I have seen plenty of scores under 50 turned in, and even a few under zero!!!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I shot nearly every Deerman shoot in the state, and a couple of their World Championships back when I was shooting barebow compound. It is a good format!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The only time I've shot that format was at the last Big Oak trad hunt in 2017. It's simple to score and pretty realistic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

How is the Deerman format different from other shoots?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            "The Deerman" shoots are designed to be a more true hunting experience than regular 3d shoots. First of all he puts a new kill zone on the targets - the 10 ring is over the heart. He has quartering away shots with the scoring rings behind the ribcage. If you hit the target outside the kill zone it scores a -5. Your score gets punished for a wounding shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
              I really like the format also. Haven't shot one in a long time.

Thinking seriously about going to the championship in Ada Oklahoma this year.

Rick
              If you make it up for the shoot, let me know! I'm only 30 minutes from there. I haven't shot a deermans shoot in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                So, did you have any -5’s? They will make a scorecard look flat ugly in no time!!! I have seen plenty of scores under 50 turned in, and even a few under zero!!!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I shot nearly every Deerman shoot in the state, and a couple of their World Championships back when I was shooting barebow compound. It is a good format!!!!

Bisch

I found out it's better to miss the whole target and get a zero rather than just hit foam. Yeah I took quite a few -5's. Final score was 47. Yeah, I suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post

This is the Deerman target.

Anything outside of the scoring rings is a -5 points.

Quartering shots of 60 and 45 degrees change the scoring ring positions just like in real life.

Kneeling, standing, sitting and stretching positions.

It gets interesting.

Comment

I found out it's better to miss the whole target and get a zero rather than just hit foam. Yeah I took quite a few -5's. Final score was 47. Yeah, I suck.
                    3D is a game! If they put a target out there so it is possible to get an arrow to the high point ring, I'm gonna try! Heck, the heart (15pt area) in that target you posted above is not where a deer's real heart is! It is farther forward than that. The back of the 15 ring on that drawing would likely be a gut shot on a real deer!

Bisch

Comment

We used to shoot something similar here in Virginia. Except we used anything inside the 8 ring as 10, outside the 8 ring -5, miss 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        3D is a game! If they put a target out there so it is possible to get an arrow to the high point ring, I'm gonna try! Heck, the heart (15pt area) in that target you posted above is not where a deer's real heart is! It is farther forward than that. The back of the 15 ring on that drawing would likely be a gut shot on a real deer!

Bisch
                        Agreed and I question the location of the vitals on some of the quartering shots but still a better representation than an ASA target.

Going for that 15 point heart can be dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                          If you make it up for the shoot, let me know! I'm only 30 minutes from there. I haven't shot a deermans shoot in a long time.
                          I will do that for sure.

Deerman's World Championship
                          Jul 28 - Jul 29
                          Ada, OK

Not sure I will get to make it, but I darn sure want to, and that gives me a little while.

I hope it rains.
                          Otherwise it'll be a HOT ONE.

Rick
                          Last edited by RickBarbee; 05-07-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Going for that 15 point heart can be dangerous

A good strategy is to go for the center of the whole kill area, and take the higher scores when they happen!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                              I will do that for sure.

Deerman's World Championship
                              Jul 28 - Jul 29
                              Ada, OK

Not sure I will get to make it, but I darn sure want to, and that gives me a little while.

I hope it rains.
                              Otherwise it'll be a HOT ONE.

Rick
                              When we went year before last it was 103 degrees when we finished the course and hardly a whisp of a breeze. I do really like that format though.

Comment

Working...
                              X