No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What r you going to grow in your greenhouse?

Comment

What ever he's growing in that hothouse must be to repel the cabbage bug! Hahaha

Comment

Haha.
        My enemy is the squash bug.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
          Got the plastic installed and it's all finished. Put a thermometer in there this afternoon and it reached 110 Think I'm gonna have to open the sides a bit
          roll up side curtains should really help. Id install some window screen to keep the bugs out if you do it.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
            What r you going to grow in your greenhouse?
            I'm ordering from baker heirloom.
            Gonna have zucchini green bush, onion weathersford red, tomato Berkeley tie dye pink and German lunchbox, cucumber monika, spinach Monstreaux, peas Kelvadon, several lettuce types and an herb box with basil, cilantro salad burnet.
            Then my outside boxes will have radish redmeat and Zalta, carrots Nantes, beets golden and red, acorn squash Gills Golden.

I'll probably do some corn outside too.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
              What ever he's growing in that hothouse must be to repel the cabbage bug! Hahaha
              Our issue here are grasshoppers. I got an infest of white fly on my Brussels sprouts last year. But yea pest control will now be a bigger issue.

Last year I left things spaced enough that the birds would hover over the garden and pick off grass hoppers. Was cool to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                roll up side curtains should really help. Id install some window screen to keep the bugs out if you do it.
                That's an idea. Yea I'll probably end up adding some square vents as well to help side ventilation but for now I wanna get it prepped.

Comment

Started from seeds, moved plants into the dirt few days ago went smaller then usual this year and built a elevated bed instead of in the ground. 4x8 . Ran out of room but I planted it like I usually do in rows and was told in a box you don't have to and shove those plants together. Considering making another box as I have alot of plants left.

Anyone in Tomball area want to swap I have greenbeans squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, multiple color bell peppers, jalapeno, habanero, cucumbers, okra, corn and a few others I can't think of
                  Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 03-17-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                    Started from seeds, moved plants into the dirt few days ago went smaller then usual this year and built a elevated bed instead of in the ground. 4x8 . Ran out of room but I planted it like I usually do in rows and was told in a box you don't have to and shove those plants together. Considering making another box as I have alot of plants left.

Anyone in Tomball area want to swap I have greenbeans squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, multiple color bell peppers, jalapeno, habanero, cucumbers, okra, corn and a few others I can't think of

Love to get a habanero! Just no room to plant it! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                      That's an idea. Yea I'll probably end up adding some square vents as well to help side ventilation but for now I wanna get it prepped.
                      It looks great, really going to extend your growing season

Comment

Yea I'm prepping the beds this weekend. Gonna order seed. Really hoping this makes a difference on the tomatos.

Comment

Couple pics of my setup. Been working hard last couple days rebuilding and expanding our garden. Redid the dutch bucket setup, added NFT trays and build the 3 raised bed boxes for the greenhouse. Tilled outside for the watermelons and corn. Last year was our first year gardening and we just did hydroponic lettuce and tomatoes.

Comment

I like yours

Comment

I guess I'm gonna have to build a fence onto each of my raised boxes. My little girl's pup thinks they are his play boxes to dig and lay in. My plants we started a while back are about ready to go out into the beds but I know he is gonna destroy them all. Anything that will repel him spray wise? Thinking a small removable fence will be my best bet

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

So far so good down here. When I can keep the squirrels at bay we get a few strawberries each day. Green beans are looking good and we should have our first harvest of them in a couple weeks. Yellow squash is putting on lots but we're fighting with blossom-end-rot right now so I've added calcium to the soil via crushed egg shells. Tomatoes are covered in flowers and the companion plants are helpful. Zucchini has veggies on it, cucumbers are putting on, 50 onions have sprouted (I probably planted too many) and we have potato plants sprouting.

If this continues we'll finally be able to eat produce out of our yard instead of buying it at the store.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                                X