No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys north of the Houston area covering your plants tonight?

Our forecast lows are in the 40's...( Cleveland area). My bride spot planted gaps in her potatoes today, and she put a dozen or so tomato plants and some bell peppers n jalapenos.

When do you guys plant peas n corn? That will be the lion's share of her garden, but I'm thinking it might be a little early for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Mine are indoors. Won't be put out till after Easter weekend.

Comment

Getting my greenhouse out together. Got all the boards put on and wire lock installed. Now just gotta put the door in and tarp
        Attached Files

Comment

garden

Good looking greenhouse!

Comment

I am taking tomorrow off to stretch the plastic so I hope to be done. But thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Bighorns View Post
              Arn't reapers the hottest pepper on the planet. What do you do with them? I consider my self pretty heat tolerance but not sure I can do much with something hotter than habinaro's. salsa?

They are.
              I use them for a fermented hot sauce. It takes 3-4 months and the Reapers only end up as about 20-25% of the total pepper mash. You definitely have to like heat to eat it, but it's nothing crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well thank you LORD! We didn't cover anything last night and seems we did not have any frost. I bet it got close though... Was 39 this morning, but dew point was in the 20's... Looks like tonight will be warmer...

Comment

We had frost in Justin last night, glad I covered them up!

Comment

Turned my beds over again and watered in the load of manure input in about a month ago.

Even if I don't grow any veggies, I have some big earthworms in there.

Comment

Wife put in squash plants this evening. Everything looked healthy that was out last night. In our new blackberry plantings, we actually have our first berry! Plants are about 6" high and one of them had bloomed a few days ago. Now there's a small berry where the bloom was... These are a thornless primo-cane variety that are supposed to make 2 crops of berries on each cane before it dies... Hope that works!

Comment

Way too early to plant anything that want's to survive up here! Most of the better nursery's have nothing out, but things like Lowes and Home Depot have everything stocked. Lot's of disappointed folks when out last freeze hits!

Comment

I'm thinking about setting up a small drip irrigation system with a 25gal barrel I have. Anyone done this before?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            I'm thinking about setting up a small drip irrigation system with a 25gal barrel I have. Anyone done this before?

I have not, but have thought about it. Just make sure you elevate the barrel high enough to give enough pressure with 1/4 full. That way you should always be able to continue watering. Distance and drippers will effect this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
                              I have not, but have thought about it. Just make sure you elevate the barrel high enough to give enough pressure with 1/4 full. That way you should always be able to continue watering. Distance and drippers will effect this.

Ok guys here is an update on the rain barrel drip system. 20gal barrel works great until about 10gal is remaining in it. Then pressure drops to an unusable level. So I'm gonna get me a 50gal barrel and we should be in business. Once I get it all rigged up I will take pics with details.

Comment

Got the plastic installed and it's all finished. Put a thermometer in there this afternoon and it reached 110 Think I'm gonna have to open the sides a bit
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X