No announcement yet.

Fannin Unit Caddo Grasslands-Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info. We'll check it out. We're just starting the public land thing, so we will probably just do a little still huntin and just kind of check the place out. Maybe we can sneak up on a pig.

Comment

Do we need to wear orange in the Fannin unit?

Comment

Unfortunately yes you do. You never know when a squirrel hunter is going shoot at you in a ground blind or treestand. I can't get over these places that do not allow shot larger than #4 but want you to wear orange, unless of coarse you are hunting turkey than full camo is okay coupled with the mimicing of the bird that other are trying to harvest also.

Comment

the thing i don't get is if you're sitting in a ground blind (pop-up) ... what good does wearing orange do?

Comment

I know right?

Comment

One last question. Is there designated parking or can you park by any of the gates?

Comment

Went out yesterday with my son. Not a whole lot of sign, but the place really has potential. Found some deer sign at 36 and at 37 the hogs made it look like a breaking plow had gone through back across the opening in the woods. I figure with the AR's and being archery only, in a year or two the place could be really good.

Comment

Has anyone been out to Fannin lately? I went two weeks ago. Signs everywhere, but no live sightings. I think someone is paid to use a hoof print maker to make fake tracks through that place. Be about 6 times without seeing anything other than a doe on two occasions.

Comment

What plot # is this. I have a map from of Grassland area anyone know the number????

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas77 View Post
                      What plot # is this. I have a map from of Grassland area anyone know the number????
                      Found it.

Comment

My son went Tuesday a week ago. He missed a pig and a spike. Said he saw about 8 pigs and 10-12 deer. Mostly does.

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread. I looked at the caddo map on the back of my LBJ map and can't figure out where the fannin unit is.

Comment

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recrea...kefannin.shtml see if this link works....

Comment

so is it all the units around the lake?

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous dan View Post
                                so is it all the units around the lake?
                                Yeah and there are a couple not attached to the lake right of the first park road. Spent a little time out there last season, could be great soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X