No announcement yet.

Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to hijack thread but for 500yds and in on anything from elk to Texas whitetail what is the preferred round. Obvious everyone has an opinion but I am really in the same boat as op looking for a hunting rifle little to no range shooting. This thread has my head spinning between 308,6.5, 7 08.

Comment

terrible gun for squirrel hunting, ruins the meat ....um, yeah, so don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
        Not to hijack thread but for 500yds and in on anything from elk to Texas whitetail what is the preferred round. Obvious everyone has an opinion but I am really in the same boat as op looking for a hunting rifle little to no range shooting. This thread has my head spinning between 308,6.5, 7 08.
        The fact is that they are so close ballistically in the real world it wont make a rat's ***** which one you pick. Between the three the 308 Win has more factory ammo and firearms available to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
          im not a gun nut like most of you but how does a 6.5-284 stack up against a 308?
          and keeping it within the parameters the OP is asking
          just doing a quick search, it looks like the 6.5-284 slightly outperforms even the 260 and 6.5 creedmore. is this correct?
          I always cringe at "outperforms". It has more powder, recoil, and can make bullets go faster, yes.

I'm having a 6.5x284 made because it will hit slightly harder than 6.5CM at 500 yds. I have some fixed positions where I know the exact distance and can shoot at them prone and thus feel comfortable taking shots at pigs from that distance. Otherwise I would not.

There are some significant tradeoffs you should consider.

First, you really have to reload. Factory ammo is going to be basically indistinguishable from 6.5CM. Experimenting with Retumbo, R22, and H1000 is where you're going to see those real gains in velocity, and you should plan to invest in several if you don't already have them. Sure, the H4350 you have will work, but it won't get the extra oomph.

Second, get ready for a 25 and preferably a 26" barrel. You're trying to squeeze all the velocity you can out of some really slow burning powders.

Third, people do sometimes squeeze them into a short action, but to realize the performance gains you're looking for with those nice long 143 ELD-Xes you probably want a long action for it. That adds weight and throw.

In summary, I can't wait for my 6.5x284. But be aware you have to make some real tradeoffs to get that 200 fps gain.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
            The fact is that they are so close ballistically in the real world it wont make a rat's ***** which one you pick. Between the three the 308 Win has more factory ammo and firearms available to choose from.
            Thank you for the concise answer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              Am I missing something?

Why or how would you expect a chrono to profile velocity down range?

I use mine to get accurate MV, as well as ES & SD to help you tighten up variables. I'm not trying to determine my own BCs, just feed the right starting info into a calculator.

Well I was under the impression it would take samples further downrange. The reason that info would be useful is to verify BC which in turn can verify ballistic profiles for building your drop charts.

If accuracy at 100 yards is all you are chasing then yeah it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Well I was under the impression it would take samples further downrange. The reason that info would be useful is to verify BC which in turn can verify ballistic profiles for building your drop charts.

If accuracy at 100 yards is all you are chasing then yeah it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Or you could use a Bullet mfg that has a good history of solid BC numbers that are not inflated.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  Or you could use a Bullet mfg that has a good history of solid BC numbers that are not inflated.
                  Still have to prove out your BC. Velocity can change that to a point. And before you say no it doesn't, check it. Their numbers will get you real close.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Still have to prove out your BC. Velocity can change that to a point. And before you say no it doesn't, check it. Their numbers will get you real close.
                    Boolean fluid dynamics have proven it for many years. Air acts like a thin liquid and just like pushing a boat different velocities will affect the flow of a liquid/gas.

No argument here.

You will have to admit many bullet mfg inflate their BC. And some have pushed to use G7 models as they are more accurate (Berger).

Comment

Well Said

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      308 is available in lots of loads, shot the "Lite Hornady" ammo with my stepson recently, he loved it. Rem 700 with short fat barrel and can. I've shot an elk and multiple deer. You can do it with many calibers, but as Sendit said....
                      Lots of Ammo!
                      And I can barely see 300 yards anyway, so I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't shoot 600 yards regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                        30.06, 7mm mag, 7mm WSM, 300 wm, 300wsm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bringing this back up. Stainless action will be here this week and trigger will be ordered soon. Already have my McMillan stock. Just can't decide on caliber.

Looked at 280 but not a lot of bullet selection. Also looked at 260 but looks like a barrel of 20" would hurt it. So basically down to 7-08 and 308.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Bringing this back up. Stainless action will be here this week and trigger will be ordered soon. Already have my McMillan stock. Just can't decide on caliber.

Looked at 280 but not a lot of bullet selection. Also looked at 260 but looks like a barrel of 20" would hurt it. So basically down to 7-08 and 308.

So basically down to the same thing lol.

I shoot my GAP 308 with factory Federal Gold Medal Match to 1000 with a 1/2 MOA group. So any one that tells you it’s hard or can’t be done is flat out wrong to put it politely .

Stick with the 308 for a hunting rifle inside 300 yards and then build you a long range hammer in your choice of caliber later on. Ask me how I know lol.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Well the 280 is a long action anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                Well the 280 is a long action anyway.
                                good thing I ruled it out then.

Comment

Working...
                                X