Pig Trap Dispatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Trap Dispatch

Will .22 Subsonic ammo penetrate a pigs skull shot from a pistol from just a few feet away?

The skull itself? Doubtful but you could probably drop it by hitting it behind the ear at that range.

Comment

Man after a week of trapping the 22 with both sub and standard took awhile. I think I will pick up a 22 mag for trapping.

Comment

Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradman1971 View Post
          Will .22 Subsonic ammo penetrate a pigs skull shot from a pistol from just a few feet away?
          From the side it will, face on they can skip off.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.
            BS on it being a wives tale........

I had a .30-06 deflect of a pigs skull and watched (confirmed on skinning) 5 .22 bullets flatten out on a pig skull.

That bring said. I use a suppressed .22 all the time to do it. If it does not work the second shot is with the suppressed .45.

Comment

Pig Trap Dispatch

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              BS on it being a wives tale........

I had a .30-06 deflect of a pigs skull and watched (confirmed on skinning) 5 .22 bullets flatten out on a pig skull.

That bring said. I use a suppressed .22 all the time to do it. If it does not work the second shot is with the suppressed .45.

I wasn’t there so I won’t say BS on the 30.06 but I do know enough about ballistics to say color me REALLY skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Mike D; 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                I've never had any problems doing pigs in the trap with sub sonic ammo, whether from a revolver or rifle. Down and dead either aimed as Walker posted above or on a line between the ear hole and eye from the side.

Comment

I've had a 300blk sub skip off of a pigs head. I think it was the angle more than anything. And maybe it didn't skip off, but it dang sure didn't kill him and I heard it buzzing through the air after impact.

Comment

I will say this I know for a FACT that a 45 acp full metal jacket will not penetrate a bulls skull from a few feet away, it will flatten out and fall off. Now a 44 mag hollow point will, also a .45 hollow point will. I haven't tried a .22 on a pig, but I know a .22 mag does the job perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                      I will say this I know for a FACT that a 45 acp full metal jacket will not penetrate a bulls skull from a few feet away, it will flatten out and fall off. Now a 44 mag hollow point will, also a .45 hollow point will. I haven't tried a .22 on a pig, but I know a .22 mag does the job perfectly.
                      I have a real hard time believing that but I guess anything is possible

We've killed a bunch of pigs in traps or over dogs with .22 long rifle out of rifles and pistols

Comment

I would think that a FMJ bullet would penetrate much better than a hollow point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I wasn’t there so I won’t say BS on the 30.06 but I do know enough about ballistics to say color me REALLY skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          100yds looking at me. Right between the eyes. Knocked her out and as I was walking up she got up and ran off. Another hunter at a feeder about 400yds away shot her 30 min later.

Bullet deflected off the front of the skull. Just cut open the skin like a knife.

Shocked the hell outta me too. And If I was in your shoes I would be real skeptical as well.

Last time I shot one from the front. Only side shots from then on.

Comment

Guess the 100s of pigs I have killed with .45 FMJ were all flukes. Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              Guess the 100s of pigs I have killed with .45 FMJ were all flukes. Good to know.
                              A bull is a lot bigger than a pig

Comment

Working...
                              X