Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad out !

Comment

Wow, Mike, that looks great. So the Amish are helping with the building... interesting.

How deep do those perma-columns go? What are they for?

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          Russell and Lamoni livestock auctions have great versions of that as well.
          I have had tenderloins from:

The Rut Bar and Grill in Cedar Rapids
          The Safari Bar and Grill in Cedar Rapids
          The Cork and Fork in Cedar Rapids
          The Red Rock Cafe in Mt. Pleasant
          The Recovery Room in Ottumwa
          The one pictured was at the Southfork Cafe in Bloomfield

All of them were awesome !!

Comment

looks great!!! nice sheds. they have sum big o deer in iowa/never have been able to get a tag as a non-res. good luck on the build!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              Wow, Mike, that looks great. So the Amish are helping with the building... interesting.

How deep do those perma-columns go? What are they for?
              Tracey. The metal building industry in rural Iowa (and all over the Midwest) is way different than what we are used to here in Texas.

In Iowa about 80 to 90 percent of the Ag buildings are post frame buildings (pole barns) not steel frame as you find here in Texas. Southeast Iowa and in particular our county (Davis County) has several large Amish and Menonite communities. You can't go to town without passing several buggies. All the businesses in Bloomfield have hitching posts out front. It does not matter if its Pizza Hut, Dollar Store, Shopko or the the local grocery store they all have hitching posts. There are a lot of Amish carpenters that specialize in building post frame Ag buildings and now more recently post frame homes. Our building contractor has an Amish crew that erects all of their post frame buildings. The Amish crew did not send me any pictures because they do not have phones.......Well I think one guy had a flip phone.

For years post frame building or pole barns....whatever you prefer to call them were all built by burying the wood columns directly in the ground. Most post frame buildings are still built this way. There are barns in Iowa that are way over 100 years old that are still being used that are built this way. A new construction technique uses Perma Columns. Perma Columns are a very high strength concrete pilings (10,000 psi) cast with rebar inside and bracket on top that is welded to the rebar. The laminated wood 6x6 column is then bolted into to bracket. This keeps the wood columns from being in contact with the soil. Our Perma Columns go 5' into the ground. The bottom of the Perma Column is set in concrete then the pier hole is back filled with crushed stone.

Click on this link for more info on Perma Columns

Patented, ICC-ES-certified Perma-Column® precast concrete foundation solutions last generations, protecting consumer investments and builder reputations.
              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 07-02-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

nice looking place, where are some deer pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
                  nice looking place, where are some deer pics?
                  Here are a few.

Click image for larger version

Name:	162 (Small).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	24543836

Name:	128 (Small).JPG
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	24543838

Name:	077 (Small).JPG
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	24543837

Name:	127 (Small).JPG
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	24543839

Name:	Bean Field Cam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24543840

Name:	038 (Small).JPG
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	24543841

Comment

Man that's awesome. Sure wish one day I can find some property to buy in the midwest! One day man one day!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
                      Man that's awesome. Sure wish one day I can find some property to buy in the midwest! One day man one day!!

I have pics of about 20 different bucks on that one scrape. The big body buck is on the edge of a bean field. He was actually feeding on white oak acorns from some huge oaks along side of the bean field fence.

Comment

Looks like familiar territory , Used to guide pheasant hunts my freshmen year of college down in the Lake Red Rock area. Hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                          Looks like familiar territory , Used to guide pheasant hunts my freshmen year of college down in the Lake Red Rock area. Hope you enjoy it!
                          We are in Davis county southwest of Bloomfield.

Comment

We are getting some barn wood for interior finishes from this 110 year old Iowa barn that the owner is tearing down.

Name:	Old Barn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	24543852

Comment

Aaaah man, that's a good deal! Wish I could run into something like that.

Comment

Looks like the same barn.

Comment

Working...
                                X