Welfare reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    True, I worked in a grocery store as well and witnessed some if the same purchases. That was 44 years ago, just think how easy it is today with the snap card. I’m all for helping people in need but we need to get a handle on the abuse in the program.
    The owner of the store I worked at in high school always told me absolutely no candy, soft drinks or junk to be sold to the lonestar custmers. Big ole fat Betty would role in with her 5 kids and they would bring handfuls of candy up to the register and then throw a huge fit cause I would tell them I can't sell you that. I finally got to where I would just do it and didn't care if they ran out of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Right now is the perfect time to start gutting the program. We are slap in the middle of a labor crisis, any able-bodied soul without a job right now should have any benefits cut 100% tomorrow. I could hire three people today but I can't get anyone to show up and fill out an application for less than $14 an hour.

It makes my blood boil to stand in line at Walmart behind some disgusting pig that weighs 350, dragging four fat kids around, pushing a buggy full of Dr Pepper and Doritos, and pay for it all on that EBT card or whatever it is.

Mandatory birth control would be a great place to start…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      AMEN!!! Spot on Dale!

Comment

Do you think the food retailers and manufacturers are going to let this go thru? No Way. Also lot;s of small town Grocery stores bottom line depend on customers who use the SNAP card. Should the SNAP card be harder to get and more restrictive, absolutely. But To replace it with such a pie in the sky idea is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by ND40 View Post
          Do you think the food retailers and manufacturers are going to let this go thru? No Way. Also lot;s of small town Grocery stores bottom line depend on customers who use the SNAP card. Should the SNAP card be harder to get and more restrictive, absolutely. But To replace it with such a pie in the sky idea is absurd.
          Have you been paying attention for the past year, our President doesent just dabble in the absurd, he has mastered it! And at least up til this point he seems to be getting more of his absurdity DONE than not.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
            Y'all are assuming a lot that the money automatically loaded on those cards will go to buying food for kids...Many times the cards are given to drug dealers while Mommy and Daddy stack up shoulder to shoulder in Motel rooms to smoke the money away the first 3 days of the month. Here's another bubble buster reality. Many "stores" will take the card, swipe it for the maximum amount, let's say $400.00, the store gets the 400.00 and they give Mommy or Daddy $200.00 cash to spend it on whatever feel good self medicating product they choose...many of y'all would shut the whole system down if you knew what the reality is.
            Bingo. Happens all the time.

Comment

I guess time will tell. Im curious to see how many people throw a fit should it get implemented . . .

Comment

I didn't even know what this program was until I started going to middle school and my dad made enough to not qualify and my lunch went from being .25 to $1.50 haha. all for helping folks in need, as we did after dad left the airforce. Lots of people abuse it though. When i worked in a grocery store they would totally waste most of the prepared food, or get some and eat most of it then try to return it. Had someone tell me I was inconsiderate for saying people should have to do a monthly drug test to recieve any benefits lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Never gonna happen. Doesn't hurt to dream though.
                  Well then you can call me a DREAMER.

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  Rednecks love EBT. This could be a major blow to their culture.
                  That's true. Some of the most disgusting examples of human nature I've ever seen are in small towns. And they also happen to be white.
                  Last edited by Etxbuckman; 02-13-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                    Government cheese was the bomb!!! We would leave it out on the counter with a knife and eat on it all day. That powdered milk could be mixed with coco powder, powdered sugar and hot water to make some mean hot chocolate too.
                    If they bring back the cheese and peanut butter, I would buy them their Marlboros and Natty Light to trade for it. I remember eating that at grannies house years ago.

Comment

They should be drug testing everyone that is on these programs. Get caught "dirty"....no more free food for ya

Comment

The average monthly benefit per person was $125.79 last year. To be eligible for food stamps, the maximum gross monthly income is 130% of the federal poverty level, which for a single-person household is $12,140 and $16,460 for a household of two.

In my experience you have to try to not make this much in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                          I used to know a guy that paid his neighbor cash for their Lonestar card at half value. He never would sell it to me for 10% more than what he paid for it
                          I worked with a guy that did this. Said he knew a crackhead that would sell him his card for 20 cents on the dollar. I spent a lot of time in my grandmother's convenient store as a kid so my view of how people skirt the system was formed at a young age.

Comment

I agree the grocery stores would fight this and that the buying home grown might actually end up costing more. Instead I'd like to see them do food stamps the way WIC is done. A list of items that can be purchased and then of those the recipients would be restricted to the cheapest brand available. The added benefit is that the foods purchased would be more healthy which in turn would help with medicare/medicaid farther down the road.

While we're on the subject and dreaming, While I'm almost always against expanding or creating new government agencies, I'd really like to see a welfare abuse investigation agency. I think it would pay for itself several times over. How many of us have witnessed abuses like those already posted on this thread? How many people are receiving benefits by falsely claiming to be single or that they're the only adult in a household with 3 or 4?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              I agree the grocery stores would fight this and that the buying home grown might actually end up costing more. Instead I'd like to see them do food stamps the way WIC is done. A list of items that can be purchased and then of those the recipients would be restricted to the cheapest brand available. The added benefit is that the foods purchased would be more healthy which in turn would help with medicare/medicaid farther down the road.

While we're on the subject and dreaming, While I'm almost always against expanding or creating new government agencies, I'd really like to see a welfare abuse investigation agency. I think it would pay for itself several times over. How many of us have witnessed abuses like those already posted on this thread? How many people are receiving benefits by falsely claiming to be single or that they're the only adult in a household with 3 or 4?

Or that are on drugs or sell drugs or have more kids just so they can get more benefits...

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
                                They should be drug testing everyone that is on these programs. Get caught "dirty"....no more free food for ya
                                You have to get them off the porch first.

Comment

Working...
                                X