Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New "Budget" Flir Thermal-PTS233

So I've had a chance to use the new Flir ThermoSight Pro PTS 233 for the past 2 weeks, I've had several hours of glass time with this scope and I feel like I know it well enough to give my honest/unbiased opinion. I hunted with it every night... I spotted, scanned, shot, and tested everything on this unit that I could think of. This is the newest "budget" thermal from Flir in quite a while, coming in at a very buyer friendly price at around $2,200. In the review video you'll see my likes/dislikes... you'll see actual video through the scope and some of the different picture modes, preset enhancement modes, and all of the shooting reticle choices. If you're looking at getting into thermal hunting for the first time, if $2,200 is your max budget, or if your looking to add an additional thermal scope to your collection... the PTS233 is worth looking at and considering. If you have any questions I'll give you a very unbiased answer...

https://youtu.be/wgHgEHBSd1o

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

I agree. much clearer in person...

Comment

Originally posted by HansETX View Post
        So I've had a chance to use the new Flir ThermoSight Pro PTS 233 for the past 2 weeks, I've had several hours of glass time with this scope and I feel like I know it well enough to give my honest/unbiased opinion. I hunted with it every night... I spotted, scanned, shot, and tested everything on this unit that I could think of. This is the newest "budget" thermal from Flir in quite a while, coming in at a very buyer friendly price at around $2,200. In the review video you'll see my likes/dislikes... you'll see actual video through the scope and some of the different picture modes, preset enhancement modes, and all of the shooting reticle choices. If you're looking at getting into thermal hunting for the first time, if $2,200 is your max budget, or if your looking to add an additional thermal scope to your collection... the PTS233 is worth looking at and considering. If you have any questions I'll give you a very unbiased answer...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

So how would you say it stacks up against the Pulsar RXQ30V?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
          I was going to start with NV but from everything I read, I decided to skip a step and start with thermal.
          I can totally see how you might feel that way after reading this thread, and if your budget supports it then go for it.

Just to bring a little balance to this thread for anyone else: I wanted to point out what a massive difference digital NV makes compared to not having digital NV, and how effective they are at normal ranges.

My sightmark 4.6 is hands down the best $500 I ever spent on hunting. I've killed two dozen pigs and countless predators that I simply would not have seen or gotten if not for that scope. There is no other tool I can say that about: where I got so many because I had it, and would not have gotten them if I didn't.

At 150 yds or closer, zero moon necessary with a good external IR light, it's a chip shot to make neck or head shots on pigs. You can see them plain as day.

I'm excited to upgrade to a 640 thermal for much longer shots and even better performance. But if anyone is reading this thread thinking that digital NV is not an incredible value and maybe the best bang for the buck they'll ever spend, I would like to set that record straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            I can totally see how you might feel that way after reading this thread, and if your budget supports it then go for it.

Just to bring a little balance to this thread for anyone else: I wanted to point out what a massive difference digital NV makes compared to not having digital NV, and how effective they are at normal ranges.

My sightmark 4.6 is hands down the best $500 I ever spent on hunting. I've killed two dozen pigs and countless predators that I simply would not have seen or gotten if not for that scope. There is no other tool I can say that about: where I got so many because I had it, and would not have gotten them if I didn't.

At 150 yds or closer, zero moon necessary with a good external IR light, it's a chip shot to make neck or head shots on pigs. You can see them plain as day.

I'm excited to upgrade to a 640 thermal for much longer shots and even better performance. But if anyone is reading this thread thinking that digital NV is not an incredible value and maybe the best bang for the buck they'll ever spend, I would like to set that record straight.

No doubt, if I couldn’t afford thermal I would be buying an NV scope after watching all of the videos of them. I’m still tempted to buy one to use until my thermal comes in and the sell it. Thinking it might be worth it for a couple extra months of night hunting hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post

The RXQ30V has 30% more pixels, which translates to a better image and farther detection range, and a tiny bit more magnification. The green display on the RXQ looks fantastic in person and is really easy on your eyes (on youtube it looks like garbage IMO). The Flir has onboard recording, which is very nice and simple to use. They're both great scopes.

Comment

No doubt, if I couldn’t afford thermal I would be buying an NV scope after watching all of the videos of them. I’m still tempted to buy one to use until my thermal comes in and the sell it. Thinking it might be worth it for a couple extra months of night hunting hogs.

I have a Pulsar Apex XQ38LRF on order now. I ordered a Pulsar Challenger NV that can mount behind a red dot or be handheld. I figure more than anything else I’ll use it watching stuff in the morning while sitting in the blind waiting on the sun to come up or walking in to the blind in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  The RXQ30V has 30% more pixels, which translates to a better image and farther detection range, and a tiny bit more magnification. The green display on the RXQ looks fantastic in person and is really easy on your eyes (on youtube it looks like garbage IMO). The Flir has onboard recording, which is very nice and simple to use. They're both great scopes.

Thanks. I’m kicking around the idea of a second thermal.......my first one hasn’t even come in yet.

Comment

I have a Pulsar Apex XQ38LRF on order now. I ordered a Pulsar Challenger NV that can mount behind a red dot or be handheld. I figure more than anything else I’ll use it watching stuff in the morning while sitting in the blind waiting on the sun to come up or walking in to the blind in the morning.

Appears to be several challengers? Which one are you getting?

Comment

Appears to be several challengers? Which one are you getting?

The base level. Pulsar Challenger GS 1+.

It will work for what I’m wanting it for.

Comment

Are these types of scopes only compatible with AR-type rifles or can they be used with a bolt-action too? I’m assuming it would need a picatinny style scope rail?

Comment

I had some time over the weekend to play with and adjust the threshold settings to get better results from the recoil activated recording. I hope this makes it a little more user friendly to new PTS233 owners.

Short clip how to adjust and enable recoil activated recording of FLIR PTS 233.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            Are these types of scopes only compatible with AR-type rifles or can they be used with a bolt-action too? I’m assuming it would need a picatinny style scope rail?
                            All Pulsar scopes come with a mount that was actually designed for bolt guns. It works great for ARs as well though.

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                            I had some time over the weekend to play with and adjust the threshold settings to get better results from the recoil activated recording. I hope this makes it a little more user friendly to new PTS233 owners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Sw8P9YiZM
                            You did a great job with that video. Is that tannerite at the end?

Comment

Thanks 35, no just a gallon jug of hot water, but looks impressive!

Comment

35Rem did a great job of answering this question. At the end of the day, having used both extensively, I tell my customers this..... If you want/need to record video you buy the PTS233. If you don't need/want to record video, you buy the RXQ30V. If you don't like something about one of the scopes or you like a certain feature of one, you buy it. I don't mean to sound flippant about it because I know it's a lot of money to spend but in reality the scopes are extremely similar.

The RXQ30V is going to win by a slight amount on image quality for the reason that 35Rem mentioned. It also has picture in picture which is a great feature. Some people don't like the green tint but a lot of users actually prefer it.

The PTS233 has the internal video recording, so it clearly wins that race. It also has the different color palettes that some users go nuts over and it also has an aqua blue reticle color option that I love.

Again, it really boils down to video recording. I can't see a compelling reason to spend $300 more on the PTS233 and give up a slight amount of image quality if you don't care about the video.

Just my 2 cents, both are super optics for the money and you won't be disappointed with either one.

- Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X