Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Meat...How long will it keep on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still good

Comment

3 weeks is ok but keep it out of the water

Comment

When you all say that you keep it on ice, do you mean bag opened, poured over the quarters? Do you feel the same way about leaving bagged ice sitting on and around the quarters?

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post
          When you all say that you keep it on ice, do you mean bag opened, poured over the quarters? Do you feel the same way about leaving bagged ice sitting on and around the quarters?
          For me it's loose ice (out of bags) and packed around the meat. When I put it in the cooler I usually put some ice on the bottom then start putting quarters in. If I have to put meat on meat I put a layer of ice between them. When all of the meat is in the cooler I fill it to the top with ice. When it sits prop it up and crack the drain cap so water will drain as the ice melts. Depending on the cooler and ambient temperature you should check to make sure it has plenty ice daily or every other day. Shake the cooler so the ice falls down around the meat and then top it off. I usually let it "age" for 7 days but I've gone 14 with no problem.

Comment

Is it bad???

I intentionally keep mine on ice for minimum of 10 days but usually 14. Cooler tilted and drain open, bag of ice every day to top off. I have my quarters, or deboned meat (sometimes I'll go ahead and debone some early) simply piled in and pour ice over it as long as it's already cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              I have had ice on it the whole time. Not covered per say, but there has always been ice on it or in the cooler. It has been in the garage and I have drained it 3 or 4 times. It just seems to have a little smell to it and that is why I ask. May not be a rancud odor, but I don't know the difference. The deer hung in a cooler for a day or two, then were put in an ice chests and have been there since Sunday a week ago. Still Good?
              You're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                A few of my deer this year have sat for 7 days in the cooler (plug pulled, tipped at 45 degrees, always covered with ice). No problem at all, though I wouldn't go any longer. Preference is 5 days, but one tends to get lazy now and then.
                agreed, wouldn't push it past that. I know sometimes we have other things to take care of first, it happens.

Comment

I usually have a deer quartered and in a freezer within 2 hours of being shot. I usually don't age a whole animal, just certain cuts. but during transport i fill gatorade bottles with salt water and freeze them for ice packs. keeps the meat cool and dry.

Comment

Hopefully after 8 years he meat is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                      Hopefully after 8 years he meat is gone.

Comment

I have 4 deer in a 200 quart ice chest right now that is pretty much frozen solid.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          You're fine.
                          Lol. Thx. I guess it was cause I didn't die. This was from 2009,lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had 2 on ice this season for 21 days and they turned out fine.

Comment

I have done 8 max. Had one on 9-10 days once and draining the water and the meat started to spoil

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                                It's all about the temp -- keep it cold and it will stay good forever.....

I used to keep my igloo inside the walk-in cooler for two weeks, the deer would hang in the freezer for up to ten days, then be quartered, then go in the super cold ice chest -- it would stay good for another week till I could get everything to the processor.

Don't leave the cooler sitting in the sun, the meat on top will go bad, and the ice won't last as long.

And just crack the drain cap, don't leave it open....
                                This....

Comment

Working...
                                X