Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road conditions on I-20 through Eastland and Palo Pinto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I-20 was shut down and trucks just parked. I had 4 cars in the ditch here by the house on 206. Most snow I have ever seen out here at 1 time. In some drifts it is 3 foot deep.

Comment

UPDATED: 4:20 pm CST -- OKLAHOMA STATEWIDE -- Conditions across Oklahoma continue to develop into highly dangerous winter conditions. During Thursday afternoon, over a foot of snow and drifts as high as five feet in many parts of the state were occurring, including the metro OKC area. The Oklahoma Governor's office has issued a State of Emergency declaration for all 77 Oklahoma counties. At Will Rogers International Airport, 10 inches of snow had fallen by 4:00pm.

I-40 eastbound and the H.E. Bailey turnpike were closed, and all major interstates in and out of the metro Oklahoma City were closed off completely by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation as of 3:34pm. Life-threatening conditions were being reported all over the western part of the state, where numerous multi-vehicle accidents left many motorists fighting just to seek shelter in Siberia-like blizzard conditions. On I-40 near Hudiburg Drive near Midwest City, up to 50 cars were involved in a huge multi-car wreck, according to the OHP.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol was highly discouraging any travel throughout the state, as blizzard conditions were making travel extremely dangerous, and in many cases, life-threatening. The OHP suggested those tied up in their cars to NOT leave to try and get help. The blizzard conditions could overwhelm and incapacitate in a manner of minutes. Wind gusts from 10:00am Thursday morning to late afternoon never wavered from 45mph to 60mph.

Visibility is extremely limited throughout more than half the state, including Oklahoma City. The sleet, snow, and fierce blowing winds are expecting to leave the state by midnight on Christmas Eve, but have already left a complete path of destruction through much of Oklahoma as of Thursday afternoon.

Stay tuned to NewsChannel 4 for continuing coverage, and check www.4warn.com throughout Thursday for regular updates as conditions worsen this Christmas Eve.

Comment

In case anyone else needs to know, state troopers are turing east bound traffic back at Abilene on I-20. The are also turning westbound traffic back at the base of Ranger Hill. No travel between ranger and Abilene on I-20 until the morning they say.

Comment

Roads are pretty bad out this way.

Comment

Glad y'all made it back home safely. Sorry your plans were disrupted though. We braved the highways from the Panhandle this afternoon. I knew I needed to get home by dark or the roads would be a skating rink. We made it home at the end of legal shooting time. The last mile or two, once we got off of I-20, were pretty dicey. SLICK stuff out there. It will be bad all night and tomorrow until things thaw out.

Comment

It took us over an hour to make it home from church. It is normally a 10 minute drive straight up 35. Wish I would have taken my truck. Our Trailblazer sucked in this stuff. Be careful out there.

Comment

The sun is coming out this morning. Hopefully it will heat up the roads and clear the ice. We are going to try again around noon. Gotta see family in metromess, but not worth having a wreck. If the roads are still bad, we try tomorrow.
                Thanks everybody for the updates.

Comment

I hope the roads clear up fast. My kids got stuck in Abilene last night. I haven't seen them in 3 weeks and was really looking forward to seeing them Christmas morning. Now I am just hoping they get here safe.

Comment

Hey Al.......How's that global warming thing working out for ya ?

Comment

We came through there about midnight. Not much on the road and Larry's 4XFord got us from Cisco to Burleson in about 4 hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X