Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing it back up.

Comment

Studies have shown that 90% of women get bites on the feet or ankles.
      While 90% of men get bites on the hands or face.
      Could be a message here.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
        are water mocasins venomous?
        Yes.
        There are 4 kinds of venomous snakes in Texas

Comment

He got a little piece of me but it wasn't a big deal. Non-Poisonous.

Tbar

Comment

Not bitten but every time I see one I act I've been bit

Comment

Originally posted by dgh View Post
              Not bitten but every time I see one I act I've been bit
              So does my brother. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                the real question is how many have been bitten by a snake and did the snake die?
                I like your thinking. Gotta protect the snakes from people.

Comment

Got hit on the boot two years ago in Rocksprings while hunting Axis Deer at the Baker # Ranch. Screamed like a little girl. Then pulled ou the Kimber 45 and busted him. Thank God for Chippawa Boots.

Comment

I worked in animal rehab for a while and have been bitten by all sorts of critters. Worst one was a coon that bit me through the double thick handling glove and through the towel that was wrapped around him to take a chunk out of my arm!

Snakes - worst biters are water snakes. Non-venomous Yellow-bellied watersnakes are often confused with venomous water moccasins here in Texas because they appear similar. But a YB watersnake will move away from you if given the opportunity, whereas a moccasin will often come after you! They are very agressive. All water snakes seem to have a mean disposition though, and will not just bite you once, like a land dwelling snake, but will bite you again and again and again if given the chance. It's an adaptation of living in the water where it's low visibility.

It's been my experience through wildlife educational programs that many people are afraid of snakes and spiders because of their parents' introduction of the animals to them (or lack thereof), or because of a negative childhood experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                      are water mocasins venomous?
                      Yes Big Time.

Agkistrodon piscivorus is a venomous snake, a species of pit viper, found in the southeastern United States. Adults are large and capable of delivering a painful and potentially fatal bite. When antagonized they will stand their ground by coiling their bodies and displaying their fangs.[2] Although their aggression has been exaggerated, on rare occasions territorial males will approach intruders in an aggressive manner.[3] This is the world's only semi-aquatic viper, usually found in or near water, particularly in slow-moving and shallow lakes, streams, and marshes. The snake is a strong swimmer and will even enter the sea, successfully colonizing islands off both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The common names for the species include variants on water moccasin, swamp moccasin or black moccasin; also cottonmouth, gapper, or simply viper.[4] Many of the common names refer to the threat display, where this species will often stand its ground and gape at an intruder, exposing the white lining of its mouth.

Been bite by one. Fortunately it landed on the steel part of my steel toe boots.
                      Same story with a copperhead (ON steel toe) . Been hit in the hand by a 6ft rat snake working on my wife's drying machine. That sucked!!

Thank God for steel toe boots.

Comment

To kill or be killed. That is the question. lol

Comment

got bit on the hand a few years ago by a little western diamondback on surfside beach...not fun!

spent a week in surgical ICU at UTMB galveston throwing up and oozing out of my eyeballs with my arm strapped to the ceiling packed in ice. i was green all the way down through my armpit and down my side, it was nasty. bicep was the size of my thigh due to swelling. the finally got me 8 vials of anti-venin and everything turned around. got on a plane and made it to alabama just in time to make it to my brother's wedding.

only cost insurance $50k...haha

BTW, a LOT of myths in this thread, don't believe everything you hear...

Comment

Two of our church members have been bitten by copperheads in the last 2 weeks--both when they reached to turn on the faucet or pick up the hose. I sort of think they are laying by the water source waiting for a mouse to come get a drink.

Me--never been bitten, but I don't give "Mr. No-Shoulders" the chance to see if I taste good or not.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Does anybody know what happens when a coral snake bites somebody?

Comment

Working...
                                X