X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lawd what a toad! Find his Daddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Today was the 4th day of a 5 day hunt, and weather looks pretty miserable for day 5 so today was the day something needed to happen! It has been extremely slow movement wise with the deer moving late, and bedding early. I'm not sure if it's just full moon or what, but it's been slow.

Late evening yesterday(dark basically), finally saw a mature buck briefly get up and move so we set up in position this morning trying to be ready if a deer presented itself. Pretty quick into morning my guide, Grant, locates some deer off in same trees we saw the deer last night. He can tell there's a couple young bucks, but also looked to be a mature 8. He said let's go get a closer look, so we crawled on hands and knees and closed the distance from 640 yards to 270 yards to edge of trees. We checked(i sucked wind)multiple times to see if the deer was still there, and ranging. When we finally got to where we set up, deer had vanished. We figured they had bedded down, as you couldn't see any deer busting out as if we had blew em out.

It was flipping cold this morning. Mid 30s, wind blowing 10-12mph, and drizzle made for a chilling sit once i had caught my breath. We sat from about 830 to 1115 on the hillside just waiting for something to get back up. Finally a doe got up and killed around, and shortly after one of the younger bucks. 10 mins or so later another doe gets up, and walks right by where we had last seen the mature buck, and sure enough he gets up. Can't believe we couldn't see him, but it was pretty thick. Get a good look at him and he is a mature 8, but not a giant by any means. With tough hunting, limited opportunities to that point, and weather coming tomorrow i decided to let it bark.

Shot the buck at 340 yards which is my furthest shot to date! I was pretty pumped about that! I'm plenty happy with the deer, and the trip has been a blast! Can't say enough about our guide, and the outfit as a whole. These guys worked hard, and we ended up going 4/4 in camp. Tagged out and headed to Texas in the morning!

A few pics attached. I blocked out faces of the other hunters but those two gentlemen killed some awesome deer!

Thanks for following along!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a successful trip!

Comment

CONGRATS! Great Deer!

Comment

That’s very cool

Comment

I hunted w/ western legends which the Whitaker brothers bought out last year, hunted mulies in limon

Comment

Enjoyed your hunt. Thanks

Comment

That was a great way to end the hunt. He might not be a 'giant' but hes a dang fine buck. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yeah! Awesome trip!

Comment

Most people don't think of Colorado as a whitetail state but there are some true monsters come from there. Congrats on the hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                        Congrats to your dad! Awesome that he gets to keep the other head too. He should have grabbed the fence post as well. Going to be a very cool mount.
                        X2 you need that fence post for the mount

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That is an old warrior of a buck for sure. He has torn his ear all up from fighting over the ladies. You and your Dad killed some nice one's for sure, congrats!
                            Last edited by Deathrow Jethro; 11-07-2017, 08:44 AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Working...
                            X