No announcement yet.

Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunted this area for a very long time. Great memories and it is truly a wild place. Hunted off Juno highway. Regret not getting in the mountains and spot and stalking more. Killed a very nice deer that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      Wow......your buddy's buck is a stud, I couldn't imagine the fortitude to pass on one slightly better
      I couldn't imagine it either before I saw that monster. I kinda wish I hadn't seen him.

Comment

30", 32", 34", 36", 38", etc..............???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it really matter that much??? To each his own I guess. Good Luck to you!!! I shot a beautiful Axis a couple months ago. The hunt was Awesome and such a rush! I never measure it. Never thought about it. When i took it to the taxidermist, they measured it right away! They said, "Nice, its 32"!!!" I said, "oh, thanks. Is that suppose to mean something??" All that I said after that was, "this is gonna look Gorgeous on my wall." No disrespect at all here! I truly mean that!! I just never understood the obsession people have on what an animal scores.

Comment

Congrats on a nice buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a score chaser. But have you ever hunted a particular animal rather than shooting whatever walks by first? I've done (and enjoyed) both. I have a beautiful 30" axis on the wall. It was a fun hunt, and the mount looks great and let's me relive the good time I had hunting him. He was the biggest axis among the first group that came in on that hunt. Maybe that's how your hunt went the other day too. Those are always fun.

I get 2 trophy axis on my lease. I'm gonna let my son shoot 1 of them, so that leaves 1 for me. Our lease started the 1st of June. The landowner let us come down and shoot a few does before that. That's when I saw this one big buck among a group of 12-15 others. He had the biggest body by far. He looked like an elk. Several others were easy shooters, but this buck just stood out.

I want to get that buck.

I have lots of meat in the freezer already, and we have several more does we need to kill - plus all our whitetail this fall. My son killed a cull axis last month too. I'll be giving away a lot of meat this year.

But I want that particular buck.

Sometimes I hunt a particular old cull or a smart old snorting doe. This year, I want that 38" (if that's what he is) big old axis. I have a year to get him. I like to hunt a lot. Maybe I'll get him eventually. Maybe another buck will trip my trigger first like the one this morning eventually did. We'll see....
            Last edited by Shane; 07-22-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradman1971 View Post
              30", 32", 34", 36", 38", etc..............???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it really matter that much??? To each his own I guess. Good Luck to you!!! I shot a beautiful Axis a couple months ago. The hunt was Awesome and such a rush! I never measure it. Never thought about it. When i took it to the taxidermist, they measured it right away! They said, "Nice, its 32"!!!" I said, "oh, thanks. Is that suppose to mean something??" All that I said after that was, "this is gonna look Gorgeous on my wall." No disrespect at all here! I truly mean that!! I just never understood the obsession people have on what an animal scores.
              For me I do look at the score and try to harvest an animal bigger than my last. But age is more important to me. Harvesting a mature animal of any species or sex is a speacial opportunity. Good luck Shane I'm sure we will be seeing some LDPs of you soon with that axis buck your side.

Comment

Seeing lots of whitetail bucks this weekend. Maybe they will still be here in October.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Makes sense! I think targeting a specific animal makes its very fun and frustrating as well! Well I hope you get that Axis!!

Comment

Yesterday morning I went in to where I'd seen the big buck the morning before. Just after daylight a group of does soon started filtering in. No buck yet. The does then all alerted and were all looking over in the same direction to my south. They started trotting away and went by me at 30-40 yards. Then the landowner's stepson came jogging up the road about 1/4 mile away, oblivious to the deer (and me). The buck hadn't shown himself yet. Don't know if he was coming or not, but the jogger spooked that whole part of the pasture.

I moved to the other side of the pasture and started seeing several whitetail. Then the goat herd came out of the brush with the guard dog in the lead. Dog saw me and started barking.

With the whole pasture now sufficiently boogered, I circled back to the 4wheeler and went back to camp to pack up and go home. Maybe next time.

Comment

Any updates on Sonora rainfall amounts from today. Radar looked pretty good this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by GeauxPreaux View Post
                        Any updates on Sonora rainfall amounts from today. Radar looked pretty good this morning.

The "town" of Sonora got hit hard last week as well as this past Monday and Tuesday. Southeast on Bond road got hit with .4-.5" on Monday and then about .2" yesterday. Rain is spotty, but looked like Southwest of town got hit hard and anywhere within a 7 mile radius of Sonora got rain. For all those that are more towards junction on I10 looked like yall got some hard rain Monday.

Comment

I wouldn't call half an inch being hit hard, but even a little rain like that is welcome. It's pretty dry lately. We are east of Sonora, and landowner said he got 3/8" a couple days ago. 3" would have been nice. His goats are grazing some areas to the dirt. We're going down to hunt this weekend. I wish we could have been there the last few days when it was cooler. Gonna be hot again this weekend. It beats sitting at home though.

Comment

Friend was out at the ranch this week said it rained pretty good.

Comment

Looking forward to a great season!

Comment

I was down this last weekend and wow!!! I have never seen it look as good this time of the year in Sutton Co. All of our water holes were full also!!! Went 45 min down the road to a buddies lease and it was dry... crazy

Comment

Working...
                                X