No announcement yet.

Question about braided line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been using 20# braid(Power Pro) with a 20# fluorocarbon leader attached by triple surgeon knot on my light spinning tackle for quite some time now. Works for me and has been put to the test. D

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
      How do you guys attach the braid to the mono line?
      FG knot. Strongest, smallest, and easiest to tie imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        FG knot. Strongest, smallest, and easiest to tie imo.
        X2

Comment

Bob Sands Knot.

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
            Use a 2'-3' fluorocarbon leader, and 30# braid.

I just used the suffix braid for the first time, and I don't think it's for me. Could be the one I have, but it seems stiff compared to Fins Windtamer.
            This is what I use most of the time and I use Fins on all my reels.

Comment

Yeah, I know about putting it on tightly, and being careful not to cast or retrieve it with slack in it.

None of you guys mention having problems with wind knots. It's my understanding that these can be almost eliminated by:

1. Using a bigger line, like 20-30 lb.
              2. Wind it on the reel tightly, and be sure it's under tension when you're reeling in after a cast.
              3. (assuming you're using spinning gear) flip the bail manually, so it won't throw a loop into the line

Again, I've never used braided; this is just what I've read often.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                Yeah, I know about putting it on tightly, and being careful not to cast or retrieve it with slack in it.

None of you guys mention having problems with wind knots. It's my understanding that these can be almost eliminated by:

2. Wind it on the reel tightly, and be sure it's under tension when you're reeling in after a cast.
                3. (assuming you're using spinning gear) flip the bail manually, so it won't throw a loop into the line

Man, I have have been fishing braid for over 10 yrs, salt and fresh, 1000's of hrs of fishing, sometimes in brutal winds, and i have no clue what a wind knot is. Never had one that I know of. I fish 15-40lb braid on various setups, all the same to me. My line never gets tangled, ties knots in itself or anything else. My guess, it's something that happens to people who are not very good at casting.

Comment

Braided line is strong. Only downside is having to cut it when you hang up.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty View Post
                    Braided line is strong. Only downside is having to cut it when you hang up.
                    I always have a shock leader of mono for the final couple feet. To my knowledge I've never broken the braid, always the leader. The lake I fish is full of stumps and concrete rip rap, so it is a very rare trip that I don't have to break off at least once or twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post

Wind knots happen with spinning gear when the line gets slack in it during the retrieve. It should never be an issue with a bait caster.

Comment

You'll break your rod before you break braid

Comment

Try sufix performance braid. I like it over 832 using 30# test. I all count it casted a little further on multiple set-ups I use for saltwater fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by eliteone View Post
                            You'll break your rod before you break braid
                            I've broke 50lb power pro more than once on hooksets. Went to 65lb and no more problem.

20lb braid breaks pretty easy with a heavy shock put to it. Straight pull, yeah it is strong, give it a good jerk and it doesn't stretch so it breaks.

Comment

Working...
                            X