How do you rig your bowfishing arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
    Couple of years ago, a guy up in NE Louisiana (I think he bought Tidwell's old fan boat) was practicing from the bow of his boat as it sat on the trailer in his yard. Line was tied with a loop to the back of the arrow shaft, snapback came back into his eye and penetrated the brain cavity. DRT. It was on all the bowfishing websites at the time.

Stu
    If I would have been hit in the eye by the snap-backs I had weekend-before-last I would have lost an eye to say the lease. I bet if you got caught just right with a snap-back you're done. I'm definitly going to get those safety slides.

Comment

I buy all my stuff from Bowfishing Extreme. If you buy an arrow from them it an extra $2.95 to get one with a safety slide system already installed on it. Doesn't seem like very much money to me. Also, unless you abuse it or use it a TON, it will last a long time.

Comment

Safety slides or cable rigs (if going after big gar) are definately the ticket. When we were kids, we weren't so smart - had a couple snap backs that scared the crap out of us. Snapbacks can happen with any type of reel - it's usually not the reel that the line gets caught on - it's typically the rest or cable guard - you can eliminate that problem real quickly with a safety slide.

If you are too cheap to use a safety slide - do yourself a favor and DON'T use line over 100lb test rating. Better to loose an arrow than eye. We used 80lb dacron out of zebcos quite a bit and it would break the line on a hanger as long as we were fully drawn.

Comment

I have bowfished for over 30 years and have never used the safety slides??? The problem 99% of the time does not involve the reel. It's because you get in too big of a hurry and don't pay attention to what you are doing. Regardless of what type you are using, you have to pay very close attention to where the slack string is. It is very important to always keep it reeled up very close, if there is a problem, when you draw the arrow back, it will pull it off the string. Use the safety cables if you like, but, I bet, if you ask enough folks, you will find someone who has had an accident with those as well. Be careful, pay attention and shoot some fish!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ras308 View Post
            I have bowfished for over 30 years and have never used the safety slides??? The problem 99% of the time does not involve the reel. It's because you get in too big of a hurry and don't pay attention to what you are doing. Regardless of what type you are using, you have to pay very close attention to where the slack string is. It is very important to always keep it reeled up very close, if there is a problem, when you draw the arrow back, it will pull it off the string. Use the safety cables if you like, but, I bet, if you ask enough folks, you will find someone who has had an accident with those as well. Be careful, pay attention and shoot some fish!!!
            I have never used slides either and will never use them. They are just another thing to break when fishing for big gar. I am also not against anyone using them, but for my own preference i belive they also create a false sence of security. I have 2 bows one is a bear whitetail with an 808 and the other is a recurve with a spool and breakaway float. The main thing is to be aware of what you are doing and always think safety first. Also it is nice to have a pair of work gloves handy when pulling on fast flight string becouse it can cut pretty good when the gar takes off ( i know this fron experience).

Comment

I didn't use to use them, now I do. I had a pretty severe snap back due to my watch catching on the line. I used cables once, but the stretched out and broke. I've pulled in some pretty big fish with the slides, but nothing over 100#s, so I don't know how they fair on the larger fish.

Comment

Working...
              X