AntlerMax or RecordRack? or other types of Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    I get mine in Diboll at Pouland’s feed store. I asked them to keep some in stock. Your local feed store can get it for you. You can use it in free choice or a timed feeder. What I like about it is I do not have to worry about is a feeder full of protein when the deer stop hitting it in late summer. And, it does not turn to mush when it is humid. Plus, it also makes for great hand corning. I use the corn/soybean mix.

The only way I would go back to regular protein is if I could no longer find this.
    is it a corn/soybean mix or pure roasted soybeans?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
      Jared, did y'all recently change any of the contents in your feed? We have been exclusively feeding record rack 20 in our pastures for 11 straight years. And this year around December we noticed a different smell and texture in the feed, and subsequently a big drop off in consumption. It's been 6 months and our deer still aren't hitting the feeders like normal. We've got 10-11 years of data (i have always filled the feeders myself), so I know how hard they hit the feeders and how long it takes em to empty. Been scratching our heads and wondering what could've caused them to stop eating it? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

This is why I stopped feeding Record Rack. Their ingredients change depending on the market price of commodities to protect their PROFIT. If a feed isn’t consistent, deer won’t eat consistently.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
          probably a dumb question but is that bagged cotton seed?

Yes and yes

I buy it in bulk, but took a pic of a bag for reference

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
            This is why I stopped feeding Record Rack. Their ingredients change depending on the market price of commodities to protect their PROFIT. If a feed isn’t consistent, deer won’t eat consistently.
            What's wild is that for 11 years they've eaten it very very consistently on our place (to the tune of $45-50k per year). This would be the first time I can remember any sort of drop in consumption. But whatever it was that changed in December has really changed consumption. I'm pretty bummed about it.

Comment

Are you referring to the Record Rack professional 20 blue bag? the only thing that was changed was the berry flavoring that we use. we did trials that showed better consumption with the new berry scent. Where are you located? i can check the mill where your feed comes from and get the local rep to contact you to see why consumption is down if you'd like?

Comment

Cotton seed bulk, is $280 ton vs $10.50 per fifty pound bag
                All year long , we supplement that with berhends 20% in luckenbeck

Comment

sick hogs

Those hogs are going to throw up all that cotton seed

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    Those hogs are going to throw up all that cotton seed

Then they can go find a protein feeder to fill up on

Comment

I heard antler max changes their ingredients as well based on cost. Not sure if it is true or not but I could see a big company do that. I have been told the LE does not change their formula, they just fluctuate the price as the price of the ingredients goes up and down. This was one of the reasons I like to feed LE as well as the TDN, protein % and cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        I agree. Find something your deer like, that is readily available in your area and is in your budget.

But OH NO - we would rather debate which pellet has magic in it - protein, no matter what brand, is a SUPPLEMENTAL FEED.

WAY MORE IMPORTANT than a feed in growing big deer is:

What are the genetics like in the area you hunt? Truth is some areas have great genetics and other areas have poor genetics.

Are your neighbors into management or is your property large enough to not worry about neighbors?

What is the natural browse like in the area you hunt?

Is there sufficient water in the area you hunt?

Do you have hunters who can be patient and allow deer to mature in the area you hunt?

Do you have a land owner who is into the management program where ever you hunt and works with their hunters to try to improve the ranch every year?

Are your hunters disciplined enough to take the proper number of does in the area you hunt? Does your lease/ranch carefully control who can come onto the property and shoot deer?

To debate a brand of feed until it gets silly is exactly that: silly. Way more time should be spent on debating and discussing the things listed above. Results are way more dependent on all of the things listed more than they are on what brand of pellets you put out.

Comment

TKK, agreed. I listened to the interviews with the double down guy and he even says that his feed isn't a miracle product and you are not going to get huge deer overnight just by feeding his product. This goes for any other product as well. A lot more goes into it as you have stated.

Sometimes I wonder if I am wasting time and money feeding protein on my lease. We do not have particularly good genetics or good natural food. What I am hoping is that all the deer we see hunting or on the camera are 3 or younger and that the older deer are not making it out of the rut. I am hoping with the supplemental feed we are putting out it will help get to 5 years or older.

I might be mistaken on the age of our existing deer and our genetics might just be that bad. It also might be wishful thinking that this supplemental feed is going to help them live longer but it isn't going to hurt to try.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                            But OH NO - we would rather debate which pellet has magic in it - protein, no matter what brand, is a SUPPLEMENTAL FEED.

WAY MORE IMPORTANT than a feed in growing big deer is:

What are the genetics like in the area you hunt? Truth is some areas have great genetics and other areas have poor genetics.

Are your neighbors into management or is your property large enough to not worry about neighbors?

What is the natural browse like in the area you hunt?

Is there sufficient water in the area you hunt?

Do you have hunters who can be patient and allow deer to mature in the area you hunt?

Do you have a land owner who is into the management program where ever you hunt and works with their hunters to try to improve the ranch every year?

Are your hunters disciplined enough to take the proper number of does in the area you hunt? Does your lease/ranch carefully control who can come onto the property and shoot deer?

To debate a brand of feed until it gets silly is exactly that: silly. Way more time should be spent on debating and discussing the things listed above. Results are way more dependent on all of the things listed more than they are on what brand of pellets you put out.

What if you have every one of those factors satisfied and want the best feed available?

Comment

What if you have every one of those factors satisfied and want the best feed available?
                              I would do what I mentioned earlier in this post. Feed something your deer like, is available in your area and fits your budget.

Comment

Roasted soybeans. 16% protein and they will eat them year-round.
                                This !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X