My Harley was repossessed by mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    agreed, but the fact that it was returned (we assume without any payment on the part of the OP) speaks volumes.

The damage is done.

And if they aren't giving answers, a letter to the lender is a useful first step.
    Letter to the lender should be the required first step, more than just useful.

Comment

Wampuscat? I see that you are private messaging. Can you come back on your thread and clear up the issues that were unclear?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        How did you pay 10 months ahead? Every time I ever paid extra it went toward principal and the next monthly payment wasn't affected. I guess you can specify whether you want your over-payment to go toward principal or future payments?
        Account info shows next payment due Feb01, 2019. Min payment is $289, I pay $650-700 a month. Payment is required monthly and I pay $325-350 every 2 weeks. The overpayment goes towards the loan principle but also pushes out the due date.
        Last edited by Wampuscat; 05-04-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Wampuscat? I see that you are private messaging. Can you come back on your thread and clear up the issues that were unclear?
          Harley finance said they didn’t put out a repo order. I have to wait till Monday on a new police “event report” that won’t be redacted. Then I’ll be able to see the actual license and VIN of the Harley they were supposed to pick up.

Comment

Thats crazy, I would be livid. If they wont make it right, it would be real lawsuit time. I wouldnt go small claims, you will probably never see the money. Gotta find out who ordered it so you know who is responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Exactly, Counselor! This is a classic thread without full explanation, then not to return and answer questions so a logical reply can be offered. Drive by posting.
              Dang? I got busy and let 6 hours slip by without replying to the green screen. I’m sorry for letting other stuff like life, work, dealing with police and insurance companies and repairmen get on the way of replying in a timely manner. It’ll never happen again. Please accept my sincerest apology.

Comment

The right to repossess is not indelegable basically it means the lender who hires a repo company is liable for their actions since they are acting on the lenders behalf. One of two things happened here.

Either the finance company order a repo on the wrong vehicle in which case they should be liable. Or the repo agent repossessed the wrong vehicle by mistake in which case they would be liable for the damage. They should be insured and bonded.

And don’t forget the emotional damage which occurred due the the embarrassment of having your bike repoed in front of your friends family and co-workers��

Comment

I had a similar event happen. My truck was repossessed - I reported it stolen and the police show up and said they were notified it was repossessed. I kindly and confidently told the officer they were notified incorrectly - he smiled and said, “do tell.” I showed him the blue title and letter from the creditor showing my loan was paid in full.

The story was the repo agency was looking for a truck of the same make/model/year/color that had a liscense plate with only the last digit different.. (BS - plates were issued in a county 300 miles away and that's lottery odds).

They damaged my truck and it took several days to get back - the DA wouldn’t press charges. The police had all the names/contact info of the repo company but wouldn’t give it to me - hope you have better luck bud!

Comment

I would go after the repo company big time and the finance co if they ordered the repo, I would no longer have payments on that machine when it was all said and done. Like others have said, turn it into your insurance co, also file a stolen vehicle report on the repo co.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                      I had a similar event happen. My truck was repossessed - I reported it stolen and the police show up and said they were notified it was repossessed. I kindly and confidently told the officer they were notified incorrectly - he smiled and said, “do tell.” I showed him the blue title and letter from the creditor showing my loan was paid in full.

The story was the repo agency was looking for a truck of the same make/model/year/color that had a liscense plate with only the last digit different.. (BS - plates were issued in a county 300 miles away and that's lottery odds).

They damaged my truck and it took several days to get back - the DA wouldn’t press charges. The police had all the names/contact info of the repo company but wouldn’t give it to me - hope you have better luck bud!
                      It’s a public record — a simple FOIA request will get the info out of the cops.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        First, get a police report of your own, and demand the person that stole your bike be arrested, or to send their insurance as they left a scene if a crime involving a motor vehicle. Or hey can provide their insurance to handle the matter. They would need to have the official docs to prove Harley made the mistake, or them. If them, that is theft, there isn't a "made a mistake" clause that gets them out. Intent does, and they obviously intended to take your bike because they actually took it lol.

Then I would file on your insurance and let then fight it all out.
                        There isn't a charge to be filed. There was no "intent" for a theft. The repo guy has a defense to procescution because he had a repo order from the bank.

This is a civil case allllllll day long

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I couldn't even imagine. Sounds like you have the kind of luck I have lol. I would hand it over to your insurance company and have their lawyers handle it. Would be a lot less stressful on you.

Comment

I used to own a repossession company of my own.

The repossession company that “repossessed” the bike carries insurance that would be responsible for any damage that occurred while in their possession (kudos for getting pics of the condition before leaving your possession). Bad news is, the repossession company probably won’t admit damaging the collateral while in their possession. You might consider contacting your insurance company, coughing up your deductible and have them handle the damage . Your ins. Co. Will surrogate the repo co using their lawyers instead of you paying for your own lawyer OOP (out of pocket).

That’s what I’d do, that’s why you pay for insurance! Hope you got State Farm!

Comment

So what would have happened if you shot the thief since you knew it was paid for?

Somebody needs to make things right

Unfortunately they will probably all point fingers at each other and it will take work and time to get paid

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X