Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Better BC. By far. 7mm projectiles are much more efficient.
    That’s it. .260 is even better.
    But heck, we are splitting hairs.
    Same hull.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      dang it, I thought I corrected that. lol
      yeah..and when you add a suppressor.. it's gonna feel a little long!

Comment

I second the 7mm-08, for the fact that it is basically the same cartridge with a little smaller diameter bullet. It will give better performance, less recoil, and ammo is readily available as well. This is just based off you liking the 308. The 7mm-08 is the same thing, better version IMO.

Comment

The .308 is by far the most popular sniping round, and for good reason. The .308 is not punishing to shoot, has excellent terminal ballistics, behaves predictably in the wind, and perhaps most important is that it is consistent. While there are many cartridge choices that outperform the .308 in ballistics, there are few that... Read more »

Pretty interesting. There Are plenty of calibers that have better ballistics, but That is not that important especially at 300. There are plenty of other things that make 308 a great choice. One of the best for what you described.IMO The biggest for me is it won’t kick like a mule! (280) Not good in the wind or out of short bbl? Really!

Comment

300 rum

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              This is what I was wanting.

So 7-08 still good at 20" barrel length?

Also what kind of bbl twist would I need? For .308 I was thinking 1:10 and to keep shooting 165gr gamekings but in 7-08 looking like I could go 160gr gamekings or 162gr ELD-X.

Hmmmmm. May change it up
              1:8 or 1:9. 20-22 is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                http://www.snipercentral.com/308-win...-62x51mm-nato/

Pretty interesting. There Are plenty of calibers that have better ballistics, but That is not that important especially at 300. There are plenty of other things that make 308 a great choice. One of the best for what you described.IMO The biggest for me is it won’t kick like a mule! (280) Not good in the wind or out of short bbl? Really!
                280 doesn’t recoil any worse than a 308. And yes a 308 sucks in the wind. I’m talking steering a bullet in the wind. Ballistic coefficient.

Vast majority of folks I see recommend a 308 do not understand the ballistics side of things. That’s fine. I’m just giving the man facts. Shoot that 308 to distance distance and you’ll see. It’s like sending a Volkswagen in a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  280 doesn’t recoil any worse than a 308. And yes a 308 sucks in the wind. I’m talking steering a bullet in the wind. Ballistic coefficient.

Vast majority of folks I see recommend a 308 do not understand the ballistics side of things. That’s fine. I’m just giving the man facts. Shoot that 308 to distance distance and you’ll see. It’s like sending a Volkswagen in a hurricane.
                  Everyone is in entitled to there opinion. I completely understand ballistics. I stated there are plenty of other calls that have better. He is not shooting 1200. 308 has been PROVEN to be one of the most predictable cals in the wind. I do shoot 308 to distance. I don’t know where your getting your facts. Can you share your source. Thanks

Comment

I’ll just leave this here:

Comment

An 8 twist 7-08 would be my choice out of many listed. 308 is a great round but doesn’t hold a candle to many listed above. If you have the same muzzle velocity, say 2800 FPS and shoot the same weight bullet say 168 gr vld, in the 308 vs the 7-08 the 7 will be almost 30” higher at 100 yards. There a BC tutorial...it matters. Same reason I’ve never understood many to build thorobred magnums and cut their hooves off with a short 22-24” barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                        I’ll just leave this here:
                        That’s funny. Hornady knocked one outta the park on marketing that one. Who’d of ever thought a company would build one of the most ballistic inferior 6.5’s to date and itd take off like a rocket. Bravo to Hornady. They finally hit a homer

Comment

Originally posted by hweissert View Post
                          That’s funny. Hornady knocked one outta the park on marketing that one. Who’d of ever thought a company would build one of the most ballistic inferior 6.5’s to date and itd take off like a rocket. Bravo to Hornady. They finally hit a homer

Agree, I scratch my head every time I see another rifle chambered in it. Can’t blame the manufacturers, they’re selling em like hot cakes.

Comment

I have a 6.5 creed, 7-08, .280AI and .308 all built on trued rem actions. I hate going with the grain but gave into the 6.5 and man, does it shoot.

SINCE youre going with factory ammo, I would say go with .308 because good ammo is easy to find and every store will present options. The 7-08 is common enough to find a box of bullets but not near of a selection in the regular stores.

If you get stuck on a 7-08 then I would look at an 8 twist and get your buddy to do some load development with you and then get a few hundred made to your recipe. The reason I say an 8 twist is because this will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets....which are usually longer....which usually have a higher BC.

The .284 bullet is very well designed from a physics standpoint but I feel in order to take advantage of it, one would need to be able to shoot the longer bullets (have to remember OAL length and magazine box length constrictions too)

If you decide on the .284 bullet then maybe look at the .280 rem. Bullet selection is going to be even worse than the 7-08 BUT can get a little extra powder behind the bullet and it would be on a long action and so it just seems a little bit easier to fit the longer bullets (projectile portion) in the magazines.

This may seem complicated but it really isnt. If you have access to a buddy thats really into shooting, then talk to him about it and he can most likely explain things.

Comment

Talk me out of .308

Originally posted by hweissert View Post

Cheap ammo is what sold me on my APR build.

I’m a .264 win mag fan for hunting but the 6.5 CM ended up winning out due to ammo cost.

There’s only so many $60 to $100 boxes of ammo you can buy before you start looking elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Black Ice; 02-13-2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

At the distances you are talking, there’s not going to be enough difference to matter going to a 7-08 over the 308 to justify cutting your available factory ammo selection in at least 1/2. To get the best advantage of a higher BC of the 7mm Bullet you’ll need to go heavier and the powder capacity just isn’t there in the 7-08.

You could take the 308 all the way down to 16” and still do what you want easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X