No announcement yet.

Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my vote is 308 as well. 6.5 is an in vogue caliber but 308 will do everything you need and more....cheaper

Comment

Hard to beat a 308 for versatility and ammo options. That said I just went custom 7mm-08 since I have a 308 already. Lots of good ammo around for it as well. Good Luck

Comment

If this is going to be your only go-to hunting and range rifle I say go with .308. If you have any other rifles in a popular large game caliber that you’ll also use I say pick something interesting.

Comment

Here’s a better question. What does the 308 excel at besides ammo availability?

Comment

Love my savage .308

Comment

Although I don't own one, I can't think of a single reason to not build a .308 ......... if you want to. At least 75% of the cartridges available to us aren't needed. That's what makes it so great, it ain't about need.

Comment

Read up on 25-06 or 6.5 and you’ll never want a 307

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Here’s a better question. What does the 308 excel at besides ammo availability?
                  That's actually not a better question and has already been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    That's actually not a better question and has already been addressed.
                    I actually see most replies have said it doesn’t do well at anything but will get the job done. If I missed something, let me know.

Mark, the 7-08, 6.5, etc in my opinion out perform it. However for a non magnum I think a 280 would be one of the best all around calibers you can get. Nosler makes very good ammo for it. Will you find it in every corner store in Texas? No. But it’s easy to buy. For your need to do list, there’s a pile of calibers that will do what you need. I’m not a fan of the 308 as it’s innefficient. It’s not good in the wind. It’s slow. It doesn’t hit as hard as some I mentioned due to these as well. You can run a 7-08 in a shorter barrel and it’ll do fine. As with several others. If a guy wants a 308 then my vote is buy 2!! . But not based on it being a good caliber.

Comment

^^ true ...my go-to deer rifle for the last 20yrs is a 280 Browning A-Bolt. It is a flat out killer! My Win featherweight 308 got me from 9yr old to 18yrs old tho and killed too many deer to count!

Comment

I actually see most replies have said it doesn’t do well at anything but will get the job done. If I missed something, let me know.

Mark, the 7-08, 6.5, etc in my opinion out perform it. However for a non magnum I think a 280 would be one of the best all around calibers you can get. Nosler makes very good ammo for it. Will you find it in every corner store in Texas? No. But it’s easy to buy. For your need to do list, there’s a pile of calibers that will do what you need. I’m not a fan of the 308 as it’s innefficient. It’s not good in the wind. It’s slow. It doesn’t hit as hard as some I mentioned due to these as well. You can run a 7-08 in a shorter barrel and it’ll do fine. As with several others. If a guy wants a 308 then my vote is buy 2!! . But not based on it being a good caliber.
                        One of my good buddies who shoots a lot, bench rest comps, has odd caliber guns and reloads everything was telling me to look hard at the 7-08 instead. But the little reading and comparisons I saw did t really show that much difference and if they did it was in the .308 favor. Why is 7-08 better?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          One of my good buddies who shoots a lot, bench rest comps, has odd caliber guns and reloads everything was telling me to look hard at the 7-08 instead. But the little reading and comparisons I saw did t really show that much difference and if they did it was in the .308 favor. Why is 7-08 better?
                          Better BC. By far. 7mm projectiles are much more efficient.

Comment

I know you said you aren't going to shoot that far, but you can get some high BC bullets at lower weights in 7mm. For example, a 162gr ELD-X has a BC of .613. In comparison, a .308 diameter 178 gr ELD-X has a BC of .535. That is going to make the 7mm pay huge dividends should you ever want to stretch the gun out. If nothing else, the 7-08 will be hitting harder than the .308 should you get past 400-500 yards. If they both have ammo readily available, why go with a .308? They're using the same parent case..
                            Last edited by mzurovec; 02-12-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Better BC. By far. 7mm projectiles are much more efficient.
                              Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                              I know you said you aren't going to shoot that far, but you can get some high BC bullets at lower weights in 7mm. For example, a 162gr ELD-X has a BC of .613. In comparison, a .308 diameter 178 gr ELD-X has a BC of .535. That is going to make the 7mm pay huge dividends should you ever want to stretch the gun out. If nothing else, the 7-08 will be hitting harder than the .308 should you get past 400-500 yards. If they both have ammo readily available, why go with a .308? They're using the same parent case..
                              This is what I was wanting.

So 7-08 still good at 20" barrel length?

Also what kind of bbl twist would I need? For .308 I was thinking 1:10 and to keep shooting 165gr gamekings but in 7-08 looking like I could go 160gr gamekings or 162gr ELD-X.

Hmmmmm. May change it up

Comment

This is what I was wanting.

So 7-08 still good at 20" barrel length?

Also what kind of bbl twist would I need? For .308 I was thinking 1:10 and to keep shooting 165gr gamekings but in 7-08 looking like I could go 160gr gamekings or 162gr ELD-X.

Hmmmmm. May change it up
                                Given that you aren't planning on trying to kill past 300, you could get away with any barrel length. But for those days you want to be a true Chris Kyle, might as well go with the 20" (or 20' like you mentioned ) to gain a few more fps. I'd go with a 1:10 twist.

Comment

Working...
                                X