This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    The demoralizing thing is that, if you look at the number of applications, most have gone up tremendously since the new system was put in place. Alligator used to be a 1:3 odds ratio, but now its more like 1:50. IMHO, they need to go back to only allowing you to apply for one hunt in a category. The other thing that has happened, is the number of standby's has gone way down. This is partly due to the second chance drawings, but it's also them not wanting to deal with standby's.
    So if I am understanding correctly I can put in for more than one hunt in each category? if that is the case, there is no wonder I am never drawn for anything. I have only been applying for one hunt per category forever. Heck I got 16 and 17 preference points on some.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
      So if I am understanding correctly I can put in for more than one hunt in each category? if that is the case, there is no wonder I am never drawn for anything. I have only been applying for one hunt per category forever. Heck I got 16 and 17 preference points on some.
      Yep, you can put in for every hunt they offer if you like And so can anyone from any state for the exact same price

Pretty much just a raffle at this point.. Very similar to the Maine Moose Lottery
      Last edited by Deers & Beers; 07-06-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
        You used to be only able to apply for one hunt in each category. They changed the rules a couple of years back. So you haven't been missing out for too long.

Comment

Someone mentioned above about many places not taking standbys any more. Last season our boys were drawn for a youth hunt. Prior to going in the gate they said they weren't allowing standbys, even though it said standbys were allowed on the hunt description. Not all of the drawn hunters showed up so there would have been availability. Not sure their reasoning behind turning them away.

Comment

Entered again. Just want to take my daughter on some different kinds of hunts around Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
              Yep, you can put in for every hunt they offer if you like And so can anyone from any state for the exact same price

Pretty much just a raffle at this point.. Very similar to the Maine Moose Lottery
              I do think it should cost out of state hunters more money to put in for the draws.

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              You used to be only able to apply for one hunt in each category. They changed the rules a couple of years back. So you haven't been missing out for too long.
              Looks like I need to put in for a few more draw hunts then. I mainly want to chase exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                Yup...it's a tuff draw. Reading from the senior guys that have been applying since it started my 6 points is nothing.
                6 points is nothing, I've got double digit points in 4 categories and still haven't drawn a thing since the system went online 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  6 points is nothing, I've got double digit points in 4 categories and still haven't drawn a thing since the system went online 3 years ago.

That really sucks! So what is the meaning of having double digit points if you cannot even get drawn????? Somebody needs to re-write the draw program.

Comment

It's easier to draw a good out of state tag then a average in state draw hunt. It's crazy, fewer permits and areas to hunt every year and fewer bow hunts especially. Longer drawing odds every year.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                      Awesome!! Game on!!
                      Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                      That really sucks! So what is the meaning of having double digit points if you cannot even get drawn????? Somebody needs to re-write the draw program.
                      I have double digit points in several categories but when there are 6-10 permits on a hunt and a couple of thousand (or more) people trying to draw, it doesn't mean much.

Comment

What also really hurts is they continue to reduce the # of hunts/permits/locations, looks like archery hunts went down to 4 days from 5 across the board, youth hunts went up from what it used to be but has just held steady the last few years. I don't buy tpwd not wanting to pay overtime for these hunts theory, just about all of them are during the week. If I didn't know any better I would think they are slowly trying to phase out the draw hunts completely.

WAY fewer permits offered now vs. 10 yrs ago. Archery permit #'s have gone up a few dozern the last couple years but nothing compared to what it used to be (mind you 100 of these permits are for Chaparral WMA this year), areas allowing for archery draw permits continues to get reduced every year.

TPWD Archery Deer
                        2005-979 permits, 21 areas
                        2007-666 permits, 18 areas
                        2008-641 permits, 20 areas
                        2009-667 permits, 21 areas
                        2010-805 permits, 21 areas
                        2011-712 permits, 20 areas
                        2012-559 permits, 15 areas
                        2013-476 permits, 16 areas
                        2014-363 permits, 16 areas
                        2015-275 permits, 16 areas
                        2016-304 permits, 17 areas
                        2017-338 permits, 15 areas
                        almost 70% decline in draw permits since 2005...
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 07-06-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                          What also really hurts is they continue to reduce the # of hunts/permits/locations, looks like archery hunts went down to 4 days from 5 across the board, youth hunts went up from what it used to be but has just held steady the last few years. I don't buy the not tpwd not wanting to pay overtime for these hunts theory, just about all of them are during the week. If I didn't know any better I would think they are slowly trying to phase out the draw hunts completely.

WAY fewer permits offered now vs. 10 yrs ago. Archery permit #'s have gone up a few dozern the last couple years but nothing compared to what it used to be (mind you 100 of these permits are for Chaparral WMA), areas allowing for archery draw permits continues to get reduced every year.

TPWD Archery Deer
                          2005-979 permits, 21 areas
                          2007-666 permits, 18 areas
                          2008-641 permits, 20 areas
                          2009-667 permits, 21 areas
                          2010-805 permits, 21 areas
                          2011-712 permits, 20 areas
                          2012-559 permits, 15 areas
                          2013-476 permits, 16 areas
                          2014-363 permits, 16 areas
                          2015-275 permits, 16 areas
                          2016-304 permits, 17 areas
                          2017-338 permits, 15 areas
                          almost 70% decline in draw permits since 2005...
                          That's sickening. How good are you at looking /posting number of applicants a year. I know it's going up as the number of permits goes down.

I'm still applying every year either way. In my early 30s. I'll get an exotic or mule deer draw before I'm on a walker...I hope.

I said I was drawn once in previous post. Was actually drawn twicd once private land doe permits and one public archery. I'm thrilled to get whitetail but crossing fingers for mule or exotic before I get too old. If I get to 40 points without a draw that would just stink

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                            That's sickening. How good are you at looking /posting number of applicants a year. I know it's going up as the number of permits goes down.
                            I have all the old draw hunt books, its 10 fold... in some case worse since they went online.

Comment

I drew lake Brownwood archery about 3 years ago I believe with 0 points and some of the guys that where there had been trying for years, so I'm with the rest of yall I don't think the system is very good, but either way I will continue to put in and hope for the best again.

Comment

Its a money maker now for sure. Its really pitiful the small number of people that get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X