No brow tine bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
    Have several bucks on our place that are 4 pointer with no brow tines. Most of them are 2.5 with only a couple being 3.5. Would you let the 2.5 ones walk to see if they get better or cull them out? I definitely feel that we need to cull out the 3.5 ones. By that age, they should have brow tines.
    Does the lack of brow tines devalue them some kind of way?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Does the lack of brow tines devalue them some kind of way?
      No. I just thought that was a trait that you could potentially get rid of. But after a lot of research, it's almost impossible to do so in a low fence property.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
        I wish more people saw it this way.

A baby freak with a crap rack is still just a baby.

I'd rather cull a 3.5 yo for a meat buck than a 1.5-2.5 yo that carries a lot less grindable body mass than his younger brethren.
        I totally agree. We can't keep our lease hunters from slaughtering yearlings through 2.5yos. On my side of the ranch we have a 4.5yo minimum.

Look at breeding efficacy- immature deer are not going to successfully breed hardly anything. No reason to kill them, they are not contributing greatly to genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          I totally agree. We can't keep our lease hunters from slaughtering yearlings through 2.5yos. On my side of the ranch we have a 4.5yo minimum.

Look at breeding efficacy- immature deer are not going to successfully breed hardly anything. No reason to kill them, they are not contributing greatly to genetics.
          There have been studies that prove that statement wrong. Any buck in the herd is involved in the breeding. Any buck in the herd will only breed between 1-2 doe per year on average.
          Last edited by texashunter56; 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
            Have several bucks on our place that are 4 pointer with no brow tines. Most of them are 2.5 with only a couple being 3.5. Would you let the 2.5 ones walk to see if they get better or cull them out? I definitely feel that we need to cull out the 3.5 ones. By that age, they should have brow tines.
            Personally, I like the no brow tine look, so I would keep them. However, if you don't want that look, probably start at the 3.5s, and find the daddy with the bad genetics in the first place.

Comment

[QUOTE=WItoTX;12101873]Personally, I like the no brow tine look, so I would keep them.

I agree

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                There have been studies that prove that statement wrong. Any buck in the herd is involved in the breeding. Any buck in the herd will only breed between 1-2 doe per year on average.
                Any links to these studies? I'd like to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                  Interested to ready this study as well. So a 2 yr old buck breeds the same amount of does as a 5 yr old buck? I personally don't agree with that logic but who knows, I may be missing something.

Comment

dang that sucks!!!

G1's are the most inheritable trait so you my friend are SOL I think. The best you can do is shoot as many of the smaller ones with no brows as you can and let the normal G1 bucks live a long life of breeding.

I think its hopeless but don't give up. I am glad we have bucks with tall G1's.....helps the score alot

Comment

My son shot a buck with no brows this year. I was targeting that buck and was glad to see him go. I see another with almost the exact rack on camera from time to time. I feel it's genetic to at least a handful of bucks in my area. If this other youngster with no brows crosses my path I would take him out as well.

Comment

Here is a link to a recap of some studies done in 3 states...
                        Tecomate Seed is the best decision you'll ever make when it comes to growing more and bigger bucks on your property no matter where you live in the U.S.!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                          Any links to these studies? I'd like to read them.
                          Due to my computer technological limitations, I couldn't figure out how to link only the article on the topic. However, it is on this list. Additionally, any deer hunter will find a plethora of wonderful and interesting info on deer stuff.

The study I assume Texashunter is refering to was initially lead by Miss State University and included deer populations from Miss, Okla, and S TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            If that deer is 4.5 I'm passing on him. If he is 5.5 I'm taking him as a management buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely shoot em

Comment

He still is a good buck. Get ir done.

Comment

Working...
                                X