squirrels w/ rimfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

squirrels w/ rimfire

Hey guys I want to take my daughter squirrel hunting but am having a hard time finding a place that allows rimfire around central TX (Austin specifically).

I have heard sometimes timber companies or pecan orchards would allow squirrel hunting. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit. Any info would be great.

Bump to keep this in my feed. If you find a place let us know. I'd love to take my little girl squirrel hunting with a .22.

Comment

Jbord sent you a pm

Comment

Damm shame. 8 years ago you could hunt tree rats at granger WMA with .22. Only shotgun now. All COE parks in central Texas are shotgun only.

Comment

looks like you can hunt squirrel with rifle at Luminent unit 607 in the public lands booklet. 1-31 May

Comment

Thanks, I’ll check out Luminant. I saw that on google maps and it just looks like a treeless field... anyone been out there?

Comment

Probably a lot better shot than I was at that age. Grew up in Louisiana and started squirrel hunting at 6. .410 shotgun all the way....

Comment

I have hunted there 4 times. east part is open field, west is heavily wooded If you have something with big tires you can come in off the south access road, the one that enters from hwy 7, not the east gate off FM 937

Comment

I hunted tree rats when I was a youngster with both 20 gauge and .22. So much fun either way. We used to hunt them in GW forest in Front Royal Virginia...what a great time!

Comment

UGH. I hope you find place. There is nothing better than hunting squirrels w/ a .22 and a youngster. Good luck.

Comment

thanks, me too

Comment

I tried Sam Houston twice, spent 12 hours out there on Sunday. Saw 1 squirrel the whole time. The forest was pretty steady pines + scraggly oaks just about everywhere (could not find any pecans or nut trees, not that they would be producing now anyway). I couldn't figure out what they would be eating right now; I thought maybe leaf buds/tips. I also picked a few "good looking" spots under the largest oaks I could find and sat down for 1/2 an hour... nothing.

Anyone tried Gus Engeling, Sabine NF, or Davy Crockett NF?

Comment

Working...
                        X