Cured Hog Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured Hog Ham

I wanted to share a recipe with everybody that converted 3 women into eating wild hog.
    Start with a whole ham
    In a large plastic tub mix 2 teaspoons per ten pounds Curing Salt (Pink Salt)
    3/4 cups Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Fill tub with about 2 liters of water (enough to cover ham) add the whole ham and let sit. It will take the cure about 2 lbs per day to work so a 10 pound ham will take 5 days.

After the curing is complete take out the ham and rinse with cold water and pat dry. Rub with your favorite rub and smoke or bake the ham until the temperature at the bone is 165 deg.

Save the bones to boil in water and you can make yourself some homemade pork stock.

I tried some of this hog last weekend and it was like buying a store bought ham. Really good stuff!

Comment

will have to try this one.

Comment

dang....gotta try this. had the meat market cure a ham for me on the last one I took in.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter33 View Post
          I wanted to share a recipe with everybody that converted 3 women into eating wild hog.
          Start with a whole ham
          In a large plastic tub mix 2 teaspoons per ten pounds Curing Salt (Pink Salt)
          3/4 cups Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Fill tub with about 2 liters of water (enough to cover ham) add the whole ham and let sit. It will take the cure about 2 lbs per day to work so a 10 pound ham will take 5 days.

After the curing is complete take out the ham and rinse with cold water and pat dry. Rub with your favorite rub and smoke or bake the ham until the temperature at the bone is 165 deg.

Save the bones to boil in water and you can make yourself some homemade pork stock.
          Do you put in 3/4 cup Kosher and 1 cup B Sugar for each 10 lbs or is that in total for the mix?

Can't wait to give it a try

Comment

The seasoning is per 10 lbs. I'm going to smoke another one today.

Comment

Where does it sit for the time it takes to cure? Do you put it in the fridge or leave it out?

Comment

I know that ^^^^^^^ might seem like a dumb question, common sense tells me it should be refrigerated but I have a vision in my head of hams hanging up out side to cure.
                So I wondered if a wet cure could be left out too.

Comment

refrigerate, monitor water temp, keep between 39 and 45 degrees cure stops working at 38 degrees.... so i'm told

Comment

Cant wait to try this out! if its awesome, i'm making it for Christmas dinner every year! lol

Comment

what happens if u use a deer ham?
                      what will it taste like?

Comment

I'm going to add mine here so it's all on one thread.

Have friend shoot the hog when it was where he was hunting with a rifle below me on the mountain

Butcher in the shade. The rear quarter is on the aluminum pan from a wholesale restaurant supply store. 2 pans, an old cutting board, sharp knives, big zip lock bags and my Dodge RAM and I have a portable butcher shop. I pack all the butchering gear plus gambrel in the white cooler to transport. A hack saw with coarse teeth cuts bone great. I use 409 Kitchen Disinfectant to keep everything clean and sanitary in the field.

I put both rear quarters in a smaller cooler, added water to cover, 1/3 box Kosher salt, 1/2 a bag of brown sugar, onion powder and Kelly's HawgRub. Then I poured a big bag of ice to keep cold, and let it sit for about 24 hours.

Removed leg, and used a sharp knife to remove fat and the white membrane on the meat. All of it has to go. It's easier when the meat is cold, it peels off with help of the butcher knife.
                        I

Then I cut it with butcher knife, and used hacksaw to trim the meat to this shape. I dried well using paper towels, and then put HawgRub all over it.

I have a propane smoker with a pan on the bottom to put water in to keep the meat moist.

I soaked a couple handfuls of mesquite chips in a bowl of brine id had the meat in. I put the meat in the smoker, the chips on the bottom and tried to keep the heat down to 210-220, which several times it got too hot so I turned off the gas and let it cool to get to 210. Once set right I did a second dose of mesquite smoke, then 6 1/2 hours in the smoker. The hams came out like this.

Comment

Man those look awesome!!!! do you ever wrap them or leave them open the whole time?

Comment

While you smoke them.

Comment

I did not wrap them. Next time I may try one wrapped in foil after the smoke.is done.

Comment

Working...
                              X