Quittin the split...finger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quittin the split...finger

My index finger is gettin pinched...and it hurts. I tried for about a year or more to work split fingered. Someone at my first TBoT shoot made mention of finger pinch with my 29”ish draw on a 60” recurve. I didnt give much thought to it then...but it has manifested. By the time I got nocking point set...for horizontal paper tuning tears...the pinch on my index became chronic/continual/constant. I dropped the middle finger for a Flemish Loose and it didnt help.

I shot 3 under for a year or so before giving split finger some string time. Ive gone back and Im grouping decently.

I think Ive given split finger a valiant effort. Maybe in the future if and when I get a longer bow...Ill give split finger another go.

Im always game for suggestions if yall have’m.

God bless! Have a great day.

Finding what works best for you is key.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I switched from split to 3-under, maybe, a year ago after watching some Rick Welch videos. Basically, you're reducing by half the chance to mess up the arrow flight from finger contact. Only took a couple of days for brain to make the elevation adjustment. Haven't looked back.

Comment

I feel completely out of control shooting three under.
        I can't get a clean release.

Comment

When I first started with a trad bow I shot split for the first 9 months or so. After a particularly bad slump I decided to switch to 3 under and see if I liked it. After a few days of adjustment I shot better than I ever had. I think hand size/head size/facial geometry may have something to do with which works best. The only downside that I have noticed is that 3 under can make for a louder shot with some bows. I draw with 3 then drop my ring finger off the string at anchor. It's hard to say one is superior to the other - I am regularly out-shot by guys using both styles.
          Last edited by jerp; 05-02-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

If a bow isn't marked how do you tell how its tillered?

Comment

Split finger does offer a couple more opportunities to do something wrong, and is very sensitive to whether you have the back of your hand in alignment with the string.
              If your elbow is high or you hand is twisted some it can really cause grief with the index finger. Sometimes you can do everything right and a short bow will still pinch.
              I use a finger spacer tab and have gone to shooting 66" or 68" bows, and don't cant much, if at all. No problems with finger pinch.
              Now, years ago the inside cuticle on my index finger would get real sore from the abuse it was getting as a result of my poor form and short bows.

Comment

Shot split for years and tried 3 under and was almost immediately more consistent with better arrow flight.

I’ll just a better shooter that way. I WISH I was better split than 3 under because it “feels better,” but sometimes you have to let the bow and arrow be the guide.

Comment

I can’t do the three under. It feels so weird that I won’t make it through a quiver before switching back. To me, my bows sound like a shotgun going off when I try three under.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    If a bow isn't marked how do you tell how its tillered?

Get your bow square out and measure the tiller!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Get your bow square out and measure the tiller!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      I went to the doctor today. I told him it hurts when I raise my arm like this.
                      He said then don't raise you're arm like that.
                      Thanks Bisch[emoji38]. Guess I'll Google it.

Comment

You might want to watch this. It is really good.
                        A detailed analysis and description of the important factors of the Archers hook on the bowstring. This video defines the proper and best technique for hooki...

Comment

I like how quiet split finger is for hunting. Ive tried split and I am horrible at it so I stayed 3 under. I shoot a longer bow 62 rec and 64 to 66 LB .The shorter bows bother my bottom finger say 60” or less. For hunting I don’t notice it on short bow cause it’s really a shot or two and for target shooting it will start to slowly hurt after awhile because of volume shots. I am guessing you have same problem but on a different finger due to different finger position.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                            You might want to watch this. It is really good.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdUfBFu8dA
                            Gracias Paisano. Alot of good form info in the video.

My 1954 Bear Polar longbow is gonna get some split action when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              I went to the doctor today. I told him it hurts when I raise my arm like this.
                              He said then don't raise you're arm like that.
                              Thanks Bisch[emoji38]. Guess I'll Google it.

On a one piece bow, measure from the end of the fade out to the string on both upper and lower limbs.

On a 3pc bow, measure from the end of the riser to the string on both upper and lower limbs.

For 3-Under tillering, the two measurements should be the same.

For split finger tillering, the measurement on the top limb should be 1/8"-1/4" more than the measurement on the bottom limb.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X