No announcement yet.

Spring has sprung !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahaha , I really do despise hogs and the damage they do. Every year I try to figure out what to rotate my food plots with that does not create another attractant. Last year I had one field that looked like the surface of the moon.

My closest neighbor called me Monday and said the hogs found his pivot and rooted up around it so bad he had to get a back hoe to fill in the wallers.

I do want to ask you this, I found a real good deal on a nice JD 6100 planter for 800.00. How tight can I make my rows for peas and sunflowers? I seem to have the best luck in my soil with a mix of Peredovik sunflowers and CI peas. Do you think I could mix the seed in the hoppers and it would flow properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Went to my place today to spray behia grass. Checked on my pea plots. Already up about 1.5 ". The hogs even tried to eat them ! A little rooting in one plot, not too bad. I've been told that once the peas/beans/corn sprout, hogs will leave them alone. They've never bother 'em before at this place. I need rain too !
      Corn is negative.

I planted several rows in my plots last year, corn sprouted and was up about 10" when hogs came in and got all of it. You could see where they walked down rows, very little rooting.

Have not had a problem with them messing with anything else I have planted

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Hahaha , I really do despise hogs and the damage they do. Every year I try to figure out what to rotate my food plots with that does not create another attractant. Last year I had one field that looked like the surface of the moon.

My closest neighbor called me Monday and said the hogs found his pivot and rooted up around it so bad he had to get a back hoe to fill in the wallers.

I do want to ask you this, I found a real good deal on a nice JD 6100 planter for 800.00. How tight can I make my rows for peas and sunflowers? I seem to have the best luck in my soil with a mix of Peredovik sunflowers and CI peas. Do you think I could mix the seed in the hoppers and it would flow properly?
        I know you keep a feeder behind your house to shoot the hogs, but I would get rid of it. Once the feeders were gone here, so were the hogs for the most part.
        Last edited by Ironman; 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

nice

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            I know you keep a feeder behind your house to shoot the hogs, but I would get rid of it. Once the feeders were gone here, so were the hogs for the most part.
            That's what I'm thinking too. I have four feeders on a 217 acre property and I'm about to get rid of them all but that one. It's at the front of the place and very few hogs use it. Might take it out too eventually.

Comment

I've never used a planter, so I can't answer that. I do want a drill in the worst way though. It would make my food plotting so much easier. Suckers are expensive though !

Comment

A few pics of two of my plots. The deer are eating the sunflowers down to the stalk. Along the edge of the field.

Right now sunflowers and Red Rippers are waste high.
                Hammering the sorghum.

Big stuff
                Last edited by Radar; 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Those peas look good ! They obviously got a jump on the deer.

Comment

Yes sir, I could use some rain. Weather liar says Wednesday . I have looked at the grain drills but my goodness they are high dollar. So much seed is wasted on broadcasting.

Comment

Yes sir, I could use some rain. Weather liar says Wednesday . I have looked at the grain drills but my goodness they are high dollar. So much seed is wasted on broadcasting.
                      Yeah, but you can buy a lot of seed for $11,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        Yeah, but you can buy a lot of seed for $11,000.
                        Very true ! Main reason for me is to get by with way less discing. Mow, burn it with gly, then drill. May be harder than it sounds, but that's what I read and see on Dr. Grant Woods' videos.

Comment

Well, just got back from Brushy Creek pea plot planting ! Got the two plots lightly disced, planted, fertilized, and dragged. Almost three acres in about four hours ! This is the two acre plot......
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is the plot where I actually hunt, about 3/4 of an acre.......
                            Attached Files

Comment

And these are the bastages that would like to root up said plots the old man has worked hard to maintain. My buddy killed these with NV on a 6.8 from about 10 pm until 1am at a stand fairly close through the woods. I was guarding my peas with the same setup at the location pictured above. No takers at my locale, which was just fine with me ! We did it again last night, no hogs at either place. Again, fine by me, especially my peas !

Edit: Not much sleep this weekend, just had a little venison summer sausage and a Redd's Strawberry Ale to celebrate all my plots in, gonna take a little nap now boys. I'll update this thread if and when rain and time gets these plots up and feeding deer ! Thanks for following !

( I love this stuff )
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

My peas and sunflowers were planted 2 weeks ago
                                Coming in good

Comment

Working...
                                X