X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      The only change I would make is cooking it up the night before and then putting it in a crock put the next morning and let it cook in the crock put all day. When you get home at night you have fresh, hot, Carne Guisada. You can use other cuts of meet as well, beef tips, brisket, or even left over steak.
      I agree with the crock pot version, other than I put it all together and start it that morning, then it has ALL DAY to simmer....and requires VERY LITTLE thickening. I add very little liquid (except for venison)...just use about 1/2 cup of water and some beef boullion cubes. To me, it's even better letting it cool overnight. It 'soaks' up the seasoning, thickens while cooling, and what little grease comes to the top and 'hardens' for easy removal. Ive done it with pork, chicken....even venison hamb/chili meat works great! I've found the best is made with either a sirloin, or a sirloin tip roast.

Dang...Im gettin HUNGRY!!! Where ARE the tortillas?

Comment

Bump because it's that time of the year

Comment

Ive got some on the stove now but added diced tomatoes instead of paste. And axis instead of beef!

Comment

N
            Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
            Ive got some on the stove now but added diced tomatoes instead of paste. And axis instead of beef!

Rotel with chillies also works

Comment

CB-

Man I appreciate you bumping this up I like the suggestion Dave had about cooking it in a crockpot so I think I'll be giving it a try very shortly.

Comment

Anyone have pics of the finished product?

This sounds like an awesome recipe!

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

Thanks for the bump up - I've always wanted to know how to make it after trying some from a small place here in Abilene (La Popular). Its some good stuff. definitly gonna give this a try.

Comment

Bump to the top!

Made this yesterday and it was awesome.

Comment

Man I love this stuff! I'll definitely be trying my hand at some homemade Guisada in the very near future.

Comment

We did this today with a blackbuck doe roast, man you talk about gooood! Thanks, Legdog, this one's a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                            My Uncle who drives all over the Americas posted this on our family website. Please feel free to post your version as well... thanks!

Carne Guisada

Description:

Carne guisada is one of my all-time favorite foods. As we travelled Mexico, we found it ready-to-eat in grocery stores and ordered it in restaurants. We even ordered some in a Ozona, TX truck-stop cafe and it was great! I was never disappointed. The following recipe comes from From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern Food.

Ingredients:

1 pound stew beef
                            2 tablespoons vegetable oil
                            2 tablespoons tomato paste
                            10 1/2 ounces condensed beef broth, undiluted
                            1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
                            2 cloves garlic, crushed
                            1 teaspoon chili powder
                            1/2 teaspoon cumin
                            1 or 2 small jalapeno or serrano chile peppers, chopped
                            1/2 cup water
                            2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in a small amount of cold water

Directions:

Brown meat in oil on all sides. Pour off excess grease. Add tomato paste [optional], beef broth, salt and pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chile peppers, and water. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.

Turn to high and dissolve about 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in small amount of cold water and slowly pour into stew, which is simmering, until proper thickness of gravy is obtained. Serve with rice and warm tortillas, if desired.

Number Of Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 8 to 12 hours
                            I just tried this recipe with Axis meat, and it turned out great!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                              an easier way...

[ATTACH]125492[/ATTACH]

el-linko delicioso
                              I use the same stuff. Made some with rabbit last week. Mmmmm

Comment

Yum. Can we double post this to recipes as well for future reference?

Love the stuff and seems a good thing to use venison.

Comment

Working...
                                X