No announcement yet.

Can pigs see a green light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My green laser on my AR spooks them so bad, I don't even use it anymore.

Comment

We hit a hog this past weekend with a green laser mounted on a scope..and it darn near jumped out of its skin...
      Up until that moment in time, i thought the green and red were out of their visible spectrums...
      I have flooded a feeder with a q-beam red filter before and never had any of the hogs spook..

Comment

Green spooks them.

Red Doesnt.

This is just what I have seen from ALOT of time in the field.

Comment

I use 3 solar spot lights mounted on poles shining under my feeder. I left them white, they come on at dark and stay lit for several hours. Works great.

Comment

just buy nightvision they wont spook at all

Comment

I use red and I've been busted with it lowering it on them and I've also been succesful using the same technique.

Comment

I use a night hunter red light.. Works great.
                Like they said, you have to be slow with them

Comment

I shot one this weekend using a white light...they spooked but still was able to get a shot...I used the lowering technique above and had mixed results with all colors of lights.

I shot one before that using a white light and they never spooked and I was on the ground walking up to them at the feeder. I can't figure it out.

Comment

I played around with this while on the blind with deer and hogs. I could flash the my flashlight(1-2 seconds) and they wouldn't get spooked at all. then increase time it was on slowly. I guess if light flashed they assume it is a game camera. If I just turned it on and left it on they bolted.......FYI stuff

Comment

Hogs can see any color light you can see, they just see it a bit differently than we do. Every hog is different in how it reacts to each color of light. I've shot 100's of pigs at night with Red, white, blue, green, and amber, Red works best for me. I used to be a big fan of slowly lowering the light on the pigs, now what I do is flash the light on and off as quick as I can and judge their reaction( you will need a switch on your light that doesn't make any noise for this to work correctly). If they spook a little, I let them settle back into eating and then flash them again. I will do this until they don't react to the light. Then I will draw my bow back and get on them and turn the light on. With this technique I have got a shot every time on over 100 in a row. Most of the time they don't react at all to the red light and I can leave the light on them for long periods of time. One of the most important things is to let the hogs come in and eat and get comfortable for at least 5 minutes before I ever attempt to put the light on them. Pigs know they get hunted around feeders and will spook at the slightest thing when they first come in. I always have enough corn out to hold them for at least 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                        Hogs can see any color light you can see, they just see it a bit differently than we do. Every hog is different in how it reacts to each color of light. I've shot 100's of pigs at night with Red, white, blue, green, and amber, Red works best for me. I used to be a big fan of slowly lowering the light on the pigs, now what I do is flash the light on and off as quick as I can and judge their reaction( you will need a switch on your light that doesn't make any noise for this to work correctly). If they spook a little, I let them settle back into eating and then flash them again. I will do this until they don't react to the light. Then I will draw my bow back and get on them and turn the light on. With this technique I have got a shot every time on over 100 in a row. Most of the time they don't react at all to the red light and I can leave the light on them for long periods of time. One of the most important things is to let the hogs come in and eat and get comfortable for at least 5 minutes before I ever attempt to put the light on them. Pigs know they get hunted around feeders and will spook at the slightest thing when they first come in. I always have enough corn out to hold them for at least 20 minutes.
                        Very interesting Rob! I will try this.

Comment

Come on Guys. Nothing better than the Hawglite. Kelly sells a great product.

Comment

If you want the best, click here!!!

Skinny

Comment

lights

in my experience brightness is more important than color. just enough is perfect, any more not so much. anyone remember the rambo stabilizer, point at the sky twist it on like a minimag bring it down slowly shoot fast.

Comment

I use the BowLite, can get it with rifle and bow mounts all in one package!
                                Mine have red and green lights
                                Pm me if you want to get one. TBH discount for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X