X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      If you dissolve ice into water before freezing it will actually create salt on the outside of the container.

It's science.
      That sounds like magic, not science

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a quite a few of those single use gel packs they include when shipping perishables. They work OK in an ice chest but the plastic is pretty thin and they eventually leak. Maybe I should cut them open and and pour that stuff into a PVC tube - that should work better than just water, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I have a quite a few of those single use gel packs they include when shipping perishables. They work OK in an ice chest but the plastic is pretty thin and they eventually leak. Maybe I should cut them open and and pour that stuff into a PVC tube - that should work better than just water, right?
          Now that is a good idea. I have quite a few of the ones from our Blue Apron trial run. They are quite large to use in their current form.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
            Salt lowers the freezing point of water allowing the ice to be colder. Same reason you put rock salt in the keg ice or when you make homemade ice cream.

Good point about lowering the freezing point, however if they are in the same freezer...How can one bottle be colder than the other?

Rock salt for ice cream, lowers the freezing point, resulting in water that is below 32°F. The water will contact more surface area of the drum than the ice, therefore removing more heat, and chilling the liquid inside to a point it becomes ice cream.

I'm still not certain how one steak is frozen and one is not.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
              Now that is a good idea. I have quite a few of the ones from our Blue Apron trial run. They are quite large to use in their current form.
              Yup, that's exactly what I was planning. I had a large number of those bags and they keep popping open. loosing my supply one by one. and that slimy stuff gets everywhere.

its on my to do list now.

Comment

Originally posted by R Dubya View Post
                Good point about lowering the freezing point, however if they are in the same freezer...How can one bottle be colder than the other?

Rock salt for ice cream, lowers the freezing point, resulting in water that is below 32°F. The water will contact more surface area of the drum than the ice, therefore removing more heat, and chilling the liquid inside to a point it becomes ice cream.

I'm still not certain how one steak is frozen and one is not.

Saltwater freezes at a lower temp so the bottle with regular water is going to thaw faster. Think of it this way, the regular water bottle is a fridge set at 32 degrees and the salt water bottle is a freezer set at 25 degrees( or whatever temp salt water freezes at). Is the steak going to thaw faster in the fridge or freezer?

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                  Saltwater freezes at a lower temp so the bottle with regular water is going to thaw faster. Think of it this way, the regular water bottle is a fridge set at 32 degrees and the salt water bottle is a freezer set at 25 degrees( or whatever temp salt water freezes at). Is the steak going to thaw faster in the fridge or freezer?

That makes a little more sense, be way more fun to discuss over a campfire

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    What is the salt to water ratio that you use??
                    it all depends what you want the freezing point of the ice to be. I just kind of wing it, but probably get them ~27F typically now. ratio of salted ice to regular ice to other contents as well as temp of the ice and other contents when they go in will all factor in to whether or not you freeze your stuff.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      I use frozen 2 liter soda-pop bottles all the time, with fresh water. What I like most is: once a bottle "melts" (takes forever), you have fresh water for cooking and drinking before making an "ice run".

Just an alternative thought to buying pvc. But I'm sure the frozen PVC would last a bit longer being it has thicker wall material than the 2 liter bottles. (But might be hard to drink out of. )
                      Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                        I'mma need you to explain this science...
                        Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                        come again?
                        Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                        That sounds like magic, not science

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                        Obviously not everyone on here understands science.

Comment

I do not understand science however, I will understand all the looks you will be getting buying a bunch of PVC and end caps. One day I needed some duct tape for work and I was at Lowes checking out in my police uniform. The guy in front of me was buying end caps and PVC. I asked him what he planned on making, he said he was making ice poles. When I said it looks like he was about to make PVC pipe bombs he got really embarrassed... LOL

Comment

What I've gained from this thread...I'd like to have a steak and some home made ice cream for dessert!
                            Carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                              Obviously not everyone on here understands science.

Obviously...

Proofreading helps[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                                Obviously...

Proofreading helps[emoji6]

Especially when it comes to science.

Comment

Working...
                                X