No announcement yet.

Judge for snake gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artos, I forgot to remind you, Beto is counting on your vote.

Comment

My buddy had one. I wasn't overly impressed with it using bird shot. Or really any bird shot out of any pistol for snakes. You've got to be close to blow their head completely off. Well within striking range otherwise you'll just put tiny holes in them. You're better off using bullets or just leaving the snake alone. Not to mention the cost of ammo. .410 and .45lc are both expensive.

I wouldn't shoot anything but .45lc or buckshot if I had one. Bird shot is weak sauce out of a pistol.

Comment

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          Comical is giving an opinion without anything to back it up except an opinion. I give you guys my word as a retired soldier, the 410 is a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks for your response to this OP and "some" that believe one is stupid if they state an opinion different than "just responding."

I've seen many a fatality/critical trauma for both 2 & 4 legged critters with many different calibers. I've personally shot many a "crawler" with the 410, with a single shot snake charmer and the Judge. Only difference is with the Judge handgun, the distance can become an issue simply with the shot spread. Never shot a hog, as you pictured, but I disagree with it being discounted as ineffective....

Again, your response made me smile...Oh, thanks for your service from another ole' fart! I like your style Brother...

Comment

I use the 22 mag from North American Ams (loaded with Rat shot)

Comment

Kuma, I thank the Judge and other 410 handguns for a reason different from most people too.

Because of their larger 45 cal barrel, manufacturers have developed 410 loads specifically for better patterns from the handguns. These produce great results in a full choke or modified Mossberg.

I also tried recipes from hunters up north in shotgun only states that include .395 balls (and larger) to .41 mag bullets in 444 or 410 Brass.

The 3” Federal 000 Buck, and 3” Brenneke slugs are brutal in the full length shotgun barrel and commercially available.
              Last edited by Johnny44; 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I’d rather get snake bit than own a judge [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one for quite a few years now and killed many rattlers with it. It is heavy but i keep it in the ranch truck or my carry bag

Comment

I have the Taurus public defender. It gets the job done when I need it. I use a AR12 for my snake gun in my truck at the lease and carry the Taurus while bow hunting or turning water on.

Comment

I got a paddle holster for my 3” stainless, made it much easier to tote around.

Another option is a semi auto .22 pistol.
                      It would be much quieter than a revolver and give you 10 chances to get the job done. Ammo’s much cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the polymer one and its not too heavy (I do carry a Glock 17 on my hip and duty holster everyday so take that for what its worth). I keep the 1st four round loaded with 45lc lever revolution and the last shot .410 birdshot. If I see a pig then I have four rounds. If I walk up on a rattle bug, I just rotate the cylinder to the .410 and let it go.

Comment

Have a couple myseff... Most of the time I carry my 6 1/2" bbl SS model with .410 bore 3" in all 5 holes unless I'm tracking a hog, then switch 2 or 3 of them out to a 45 LC. Have never had a failure of any kind with either. The other one is a 2" cerra-coated stubby, but it also has the 3" cylinder. At 20 feet, both will turn a moccasin to shreds with #6's. It does WAY more than "poke tiny holes in 'em from a safe distance...
                          Other than the loudness of 'em, I like 'em. I don't use 'em for "self-defense" as such though. Like "Artos" said, LOTS of better choices. But for a snake gun, they serve that purpose very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                            Kuma, I thank the Judge and other 410 handguns for a reason different from most people too.

Because of their larger 45 cal barrel, manufacturers have developed 410 loads specifically for better patterns from the handguns. These produce great results in a full choke or modified Mossberg.

I also tried recipes from hunters up north in shotgun only states that include .395 balls (and larger) to .41 mag bullets in 444 or 410 Brass.

The 3” Federal 000 Buck, and 3” Brenneke slugs are brutal in the full length shotgun barrel and commercially available.
                            Good comments! Like some, I designate different handguns for the specific purpose they serve at least for me. For general "snake killing," they work great and as stated before, the 45lc will do a job on larger critters within handgun range. For personal defense for 2 "legged" critters, the Judge will definitely work but I prefer a "double stack" magazine "in several different calibers, lol."

My reason for the response earlier was simply the "experts" who discount anyone else's preference or opinions! Again Johnny, good information and thanks!

Comment

The 410 difference between handgun and full length barrel is like night and day though.
                              I tried that same buckshot on out of the handgun and it didn’t fare so well.

I know we are talking “snakes” and “handgun” though, I get easily diverted.

Comment

Like so many threads on here, the OP asks a question and the answers morph into multiple other subjects.

His question was who uses the Taurus Judge as a snake gun? I did when I lived in Texas and it works great for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
                                X