No announcement yet.

Age debate East Texas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to age a deer with one picture like that is useless - you need video of him to see him moving in real life to determine age -

Comment

/\ not true. You need more practice, waaaay more.

Comment

Young

Comment

No telling..looks like he has a big abscess high & behind his shoulder, or am I just seeing things?

Comment

I say he is old ,drawn in sides rump is dropped nose rolled. Biologist is right at 7.5

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
              There's about 10 of us arguing about the age of this buck. I know the picture isn't the best and he's walking but none of us are pros. What's GS say?
              The thing about SETx deer is they never look their age. 4 maybe. He looks a little thin. Maybe 3. Gotta thick neck, slim body...indications of a youngster.

On the flip side, I see older buck characteristics, gant side, ribs showing, thick neck, tattered ears. I will stay with 4, but wouldnt be surprised if he was 7-10

SR, the thing about SETx deer, they got it good. LOTS of food at eye level, if they didnt like corn or acorns they would never get any grit in their mouth. The broken droptine was aged at 7.5, but thats as old as you can age them with that WTx system the biologist use. Very nice buck, both of them

Photographic history is the only way to really to know how old they are, unless you send a tooth to A&M
              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Guessing buck ages is just that....guessing. Especially off one picture that's not the best pose for aging. Having said that, I'm in the 4.5 max camp.

Comment

Baby

Comment

Originally posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
                    I say he is old ,drawn in sides rump is dropped nose rolled. Biologist is right at 7.5
                    Biologist aged the dead drop tine buck at 7.5

The buck walking looks young. 3.5

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                        No telling..looks like he has a big abscess high & behind his shoulder, or am I just seeing things?
                        I didn't notice that earlier but we think this buck was shot with a crossbow last year near this exact spot. We hunted it for three days, found very little blood, and finally gave up after no buzzards were ever spotted. Good eye!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                          Biologist aged the dead drop tine buck at 7.5

The buck walking looks young. 3.5
                          This is correct sorry if that other pic was confusing

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                            trying to age a deer with one picture like that is useless - you need video of him to see him moving in real life to determine age -
                            X2!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                              I didn't notice that earlier but we think this buck was shot with a crossbow last year near this exact spot. We hunted it for three days, found very little blood, and finally gave up after no buzzards were ever spotted. Good eye!

Go off last year's pics then. Those will probably be more telling than this year's.

Comment

4.5 max

Comment

Working...
                                X