Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2018-2019 Lake Whitney , Lake Aquilla hunting thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the time i read your post and got your call i was home switchback.but im going to have a campsite next Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by fowltrouble2 View Post
      I’m sittin’ as well. Nothing yet. Would y’all shoot a big mature doe if she’s been been traveling with a yearling button buck? They both come in nearly every morning and evening. Trying to decide if i should give her a pass until late season.
      If it was me I’d go ahead and take her early if she comes back. I noticed that they scent busted you but give it a few days maybe a week and if she starts doing the same thing then fill the freezer. Way I see it public land is so hard to hunt that getting that buck to come out is difficult no matter what. Keeping one doe around just in hopes she will draw in a buck a month from now is a waste of a good chance for meat. But if you got plenty of meat sure keep her around maybe she’ll do some good in rut, or maybe the guy 200yds down the way will shoot her 50/50. #public land

Comment

If the deer with her is a yearling and eating corn it will be fine. Is she a wet doe?

Comment

Got my first Hunt of year In on Sunday morning and didn’t see anything but 1000 squirrels and 5 million sketters. Got down from the tree at 10:45 and when I got back to the truck I had a nice flat tire waiting on me. What a great way to start the season!

Comment

Well you folks have fun this next two weeks. I’m off to work looking like y’all are gonna have some great opportunities this hitch. Man I wish the cold fronts would fall on my days off. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by FF36 View Post
              Lol not asking for X spot, Some units are saw are just fields and some looked really thick and hard to access. I didn't know if this drove everyone to a few select units or not. Its good tho. I'll stick to what I know and go.
              Hey there! If I were you id hunt B7 and H7 they have tons of deer

Comment

Just what I've been waiting for !!! Here comes the water!

Grandbury has been releasing water most of last week. It was a minimum release of around 442 cfs. Grandbury is also/has been near normal level. PK has been releasing a very small amount; about 1/4 what Grandbury has been releasing in cfs. But it has very slowly been coming up too. Today, I see PK releasing 9,000 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 1322 cfs at the moment. But I expect Gradbury to increase it's release with the flow PK is putting out. PK has dropped 4" in the last 24 hours. And is 3" low. Grandbury is near normal and has done a balancing act with it's inflow/output, for the most part. But it's going to have to increase it's output to keep it from flooding. Hope that's somewhat clear to most .

Anyway, the W lake has come up almost 6" in the last 24 hours as of this moment. And sits at 3.54 feet low. I expect it to come up a good bit when Grandbury opens it's big gates to handle what PK is letting out. This means the river is going to rise above the W lake for a little while. And the upper end of the lake will have lots of debris once the surge reaches the upper end of the W lake. I hope it fills the W lake up! So the water fowl should stop in on the way to the coast in early November.

I doubt that the W lakes rise will have any impact on most of you walking into your hunting areas. But if the Brazos River Valley gets more rain as we have had, it might could for a little while. And don't fret though. I've hunted the W lake when it was flooded before at +9 feet to +15. You can too.
                I remember one year pulling up to a tree in my boat to take a stand down I had to leave up when the water started rising. The stand was 20' off the ground .
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

My first year hunting was the year Whitney was flooded really bad, about 4 years ago. It flooded the state park cabins, Mccowin and another park cabins

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

More hogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it would take a lot more water in the upper Brazos River Valley to cause Whitney to flood like that again. I've seen it at +23 feet a great number of times. And have seen it come up over 9 feet over night. First time to see it flood was in 1990. Happened 3 times in a two year period there. Water was over the 174 Kimble Bend bridge. I was at Beth Kirby's fishing barge at Lakeside when that one started in 1991. 174 at the Nolan river south of Rio Vista, water was over the road. Highway patrol had 174 shut down. Water was running over the road way on 933 in front of the Steiner Valley Ranch. And flowed over Hwy 56 by Plowman. I nearly got swept off into the lake on that one. A newly opened store in Lakeside Village got a new name after that one: Lotta Watta.

Comment

coojay, they looks a little stiff. Must be the arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by coojay View Post
                          More hogs!

Die of natural causes or shot and left to rot?

Comment

Sow is gut shot, just back of the heart in the paunch. Boar is high behind the shoulder. But just a tad high. Probably got some upper lung, ran, and lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              I think it would take a lot more water in the upper Brazos River Valley to cause Whitney to flood like that again. I've seen it at +23 feet a great number of times. And have seen it come up over 9 feet over night. First time to see it flood was in 1990. Happened 3 times in a two year period there. Water was over the 174 Kimble Bend bridge. I was at Beth Kirby's fishing barge at Lakeside when that one started in 1991. 174 at the Nolan river south of Rio Vista, water was over the road. Highway patrol had 174 shut down. Water was running over the road way on 933 in front of the Steiner Valley Ranch. And flowed over Hwy 56 by Plowman. I nearly got swept off into the lake on that one. A newly opened store in Lakeside Village got a new name after that one: Lotta Watta.
                              Yeha im sure. I remember driveing across the dam to file my permit paper work and was wondering why there was wakeboard ramps all over the lake. Then realized they where tops of gazebos...not ramps lol

Comment

I’ll shoot them til I start seeing deer, I think the landowners around the lake r raising them to keep us hunters out!

Comment

Working...
                                X