No announcement yet.

Best state to apply for a bighorn tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also go on a Randy Newberg Hunt Talk Podcast (available online as well) marathon, and watch his Youtube channel. He is a public land advocate and is always talking about draw odds, public land issues, public land hunting, and the draw system of the western states. He just did one because we are in "application season".

Look up the Meateater Podcast where they have Jay Scott Outfitters as a guest. They are a sheep hunting outfit based out of Arizona or New Mexico. Very informative podcast regarding sheep tags.

Comment

If you put $250/month into a mutual fund and were fortunate enough to earn an average of 8% on the money for 7 years, you'd accumulate $26K to use on a hunt. Keep it up for 10 years, and you'd have $43K. If it takes that long to build enough points to possibly draw a hunt anyway, it's something to consider.
      Shane is offline Reply With Quote Back To The Top

That's not going to keep up with the way the prices of those hunts increase. Since I hunted Dall sheep in the NWT in 1995 the cost of just the sheep hunt itself has tripled.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Maybe I know a FA that can get it to 10%!!
        There's somebody that'll get you 15%, I'm sure.

Comment

Any states where I can just buy points?
          From the data I've gathered for non residents either Arizona or Montana. Problem with Arizona is you have to buy the liscense up front plus the draw so it's around 170-200$ per time you put in while Montana you can just buy points (believe it's around 50-100$ each year)

With point creep and what not I would bet it's a 25-35 year wait for each

Comment

To heck with it. I'll just keep buying the Texas draw stuff and work har to move up in the company lol

Comment

There's no telling what point creep will do to the odds 10-15 years from now too.

Comment

To heck with it. I'll just keep buying the Texas draw stuff and work har to move up in the company lol
                Not sure if I could make myself spend the money for a sheep hunt, but after looking at the draw odds, point creep and time it takes to apply for all of the out of state hunts, working hard and saving up the money seems to make the most sense.

Comment

Working...
                X