Best state to apply for a bighorn tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best state to apply for a bighorn tag?

I am not sure I'll ever be able to afford $20,000+ for one tag, and while I'm young I'd like to start putting in for a draw to hopefully get enough points built up to draw a tag. Anybody else do this? Care to help me? Then I need to figure out costs as to what they end up keeping. How much you front. How long they keep it. Etc.

I honestly would think New Mexico? I haven't done enough research on the matter. Hopefully some others can chime in.

Comment

Comment

Montana is a great place for sheep. You have fees, but don't put the entire tag fee down up front...just comes out of your credit card if you're drawn.
        You just do not know how long it will take. In colorado..you have zero chance until your fourth year. In montana, nevada, utah, you have a chance every year, but it your chances increase every year. It's really a thing you have to think of in a lifetime, rather than a few years or even a decade.

Comment

According to Steve Rinella, it depends on how old you are when you start applying (in relation to Montana). If you haven't applied by age 30, save your draw fees $ and bank it and go on a guided sheep hunt. Watched one show in Montana, the guy applied to for 40 yrs......however one young lady drew a New Mexico sheep tag with 2 pts.

Comment

I've heard Idaho has some of the best odds for sheep. IIRC you can only apply for the big 3 or elk, deer, antelope in a given year......not both.....and no preference points.

Comment

Any states where I can just buy points?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Any states where I can just buy points?
                You can, for sure in CO. They'll take the full $2,000+, then refund it a couple months later. NR are required to submit on paper. Applicant can accumulate a maximum of three preference points for sheep.
                Once applicant has 3 preference points, then they are awarded a weighted point for each year they are unsuccessful in the draw

Based on the numbers and chances of drawing as a NR, MT seems like the best place to look. They use a bonus point system.

Comment

Great resource.

Don't miss another opportunity to hunt your favorite big game animal in your favorite Western state. Deadlines for 2017 big game applications in 11 states for deer, elk, moose, big horn sheep, mountain goats or exotic species.

Comment

www.gohunt.com takes all the guesswork out of the systems if you are serious about starting. They break down all the odds for non-resident and resident. Which states have points, which ones don't. Depending on the state you apply you are going up against some with 100+ points or max lifetime points cause a few state square your bonus points.

Comment

Looks like they guys are still working on the 2017 date timeline in that previous post. They will continually improve that info as season goes on or things change.

Here's the 2016 table that was accurate last year. Should give you a pretty good idea: http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...tion-deadline/

Comment

www.huntinfool.com is also a good resource with their own group of lottery style drawings with guides they've picked.

Comment

I use GoHunt. I've signed up for the Insider. I want to hunt the west more and more. So far, it's been valuable to me. BigHorn is something I'm pretty interested in as well. This will be the first year for me to apply.

Comment

If you put $250/month into a mutual fund and were fortunate enough to earn an average of 8% on the money for 7 years, you'd accumulate $26K to use on a hunt. Keep it up for 10 years, and you'd have $43K. If it takes that long to build enough points to possibly draw a hunt anyway, it's something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              If you put $250/month into a mutual fund and were fortunate enough to earn an average of 8% on the money for 7 years, you'd accumulate $26K to use on a hunt. Keep it up for 10 years, and you'd have $43K. If it takes that long to build enough points to possibly draw a hunt anyway, it's something to consider.
                              Maybe I know a FA that can get it to 10%!!

Comment

Working...
                              X