Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    Always wanted to build one and try it but.........no gotty no pigs
    They work great with WT and axis deer too!

Comment

I first saw these in the late 80's in south Texas. I was only about 7 years old but I remember having to pour the 5 gallon buckets of corn down them while my dad held up an end. He saw one and made 4 that were 10" diameter x 5' long heavy duty pvc. He made caps out of stainless and a piece of all thread went through the entire length from end to end. The all thread was welded to the end nearest the chain end and the other end was removeable. We would pull off one end and pour in the corn. I do remember we had one on a t post that ended up snapping at the ground where the swivel was and it took all day to find the barrel which was about 500 yards away in a big creek bottom. We had 4 holes in each one, but ended up putting bolts in 2 holes because they would empty it so quick. We used to move them every year becaus the trehcn would form where it was rolled. I have tried them other places where they were never touched at the same time though. I'll post some pics soon.

Comment

We used this stake from tractor supply. No more problems with broken chains

Tractor Supply Co. is the source for farm supplies, pet and animal feed and supplies, clothing, tools, fencing, and so much more. Buy online and pick up in store is available at most locations. Tractor Supply Co. is your source for the Life Out Here lifestyle!

Ever time we used a T-post the chain would bind and break. Then you have to search for your pipe in the wilderness.

In two years haven't had a hog on it, that we've seen. But deer like the heck out of it. I've had as many as a dozen deer at one time.

Comment

im gonna have to try this one out

Comment

WE have done the same thing with a 55 gal drum. they work great.

Comment

I've used them for years. They work great.

Instead of a t-post or chain, I use a piece of rigid conduit driven in the ground, and I put a big bridle ring on the swivel. It only spins around the pipe, and they can't break it. The round pipe is key to this working.

Comment

We're just now trying this out. Using a large plastic container, holes and anchoring down. hopefully will hear them while night hunting.

Comment

6 holes !!! They will empty your pipe Quick !!! I have three 5/8'' holes in each of my three pipes and they will clean it out in a three to five days. Once they start to hit it hard I duck tape both end holes and use the middle hole only. I also have a 3'' cap inserted backwards into the 4'' pipe and filled with a few rocks and covered with 4'' cleanout cap. If they eat my corn all gone when they roll it around the rocks rattle making them think there is still some corn there.

Comment

Originally posted by bullony View Post
                    I first saw these in the late 80's in south Texas. I was only about 7 years old but I remember having to pour the 5 gallon buckets of corn down them while my dad held up an end. He saw one and made 4 that were 10" diameter x 5' long heavy duty pvc. He made caps out of stainless and a piece of all thread went through the entire length from end to end. The all thread was welded to the end nearest the chain end and the other end was removeable. We would pull off one end and pour in the corn. I do remember we had one on a t post that ended up snapping at the ground where the swivel was and it took all day to find the barrel which was about 500 yards away in a big creek bottom. We had 4 holes in each one, but ended up putting bolts in 2 holes because they would empty it so quick. We used to move them every year becaus the trehcn would form where it was rolled. I have tried them other places where they were never touched at the same time though. I'll post some pics soon.
                    I like the way your dad made those.

Comment

Gotta try...

tending the fire,
                      Bob G.

Comment

We use a t post driven into the ground and slide a 2ft piece of 1 1/2" pvc down over that for the support post .It allows the cable to rotate around without binding.Hunting in west tx the ground gets so hard about the only thing you can drive into it is a t post with a driver.Also,the best and least expensive hog attractant is to mix powdered raspberry or strawberry Jello in with your corn regardless of how you put it out.They will find it in a hurry and can"t resist it.(giving away the trade secrets here)

Comment

Hawaii Hogs really don't know or care about them. I've got 6-8 3/4 inch holes drilled in mine, they eat what's close to the pipe, but don't know it around. Have no clue why.
                          Mine is 4 inch ABS about 3 feet long put a screw on top on it.

I gave up using mine. I've seen them eat corn from the feeder all around the pipe and never touch the pipe.

Comment

Ive used them for years with great success
                            Last edited by Hard Knocks; 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Never heard of this. What a great idea. I just showed it to my 13 year old son. He can't wait to build a couple and give this a shot.

Comment

I chain mine to a old tire then drop it around a t-post bought a motion sensor light at lowes for $30 hooked it to t-post pigs come up light comes on killing time

Comment

Working...
                                X