Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Once the base was welded out and painted it was time to shift my focus to the barrel. I ordered a 12v Boss Buck feeder timer, a spout, and a solar panel. I ordered a 12x12 varmint cage and a galvanized lid as well.

Comment

Comment

As soon as I got to playing with my new toys I noticed that between the 12v battery and the timer were rather heavy. I assumed that self-taping screws would probably work to support the feeder timer. But it would be a lot to expect the bottom of the barrel and some screws to support it all. I decided to go back with backing plates and bolts. I had a piece of stainless bar that would work out for the backing plate. I measured the holes on the timer bracket. I laid the bolt holes out on the plate, drilled the holes, and cut the plate. Next I went to the hardware store and bought some bolts.

Comment

Well when I went to install all of this, I had some loose ends that I needed to sew up. For one, whatever design I came up with would need to be pretty solid. Once that funnel goes in that would be final. It is a real pain to get the funnel out once it is in. OnceI put the assembly in it hit me…

Comment

I can’t hold back up on this bolt if I ever need to take the timer off. Also if the timer is not on and the funnel is installed the backing plate and the bolts could potentially fall out. So I went back to the drawing board. After much deliberation I came up with this. I would go with some scrap carbon that I had laying around.

Comment

I laid out the bolt holes then cut the plate. The dimensions came out to be 5” x 2”. Time to drill.

Comment

Once the holes are drilled, I taped the holes.

Comment

This will keep the bolts from moving once inside the drum. I will then need the plate to stay in place. So this is how I prevented that. I held it in place with a self-taping screw from the bottom side of the barrel.

Comment

Comment

Then I put the timer on just to see how my clearances looked.

Once that I saw that the back plate and bolt setup was going to work I removed the timer. I had some old flashing laying around that I made into a funnel. Then I installed it.

The next project I had was to install the solar panel. At first I thought just put it up on the side. It hit me that if I just put it on the side and did not guard the wiring, I would have raccoons doing pull ups on the solar panel.

Comment

I am getting very close. Next order of business was to fit up and install the varmint cage. With the help of my number 1 hunting partner (my seven year old) we held the cage up. Yet again another obstacle… The cage will not open because of the lip on the bottom of the barrel. So this is what I came up with. It is a 2.25” by 2.25” piece of aluminum angle attached to the bottom side of the barrel. I folded about two inches of the cage door down. This should give the gate side of the cage enough clearance to open. This will probably be pretty loud when corn sprays the backside of that angle. That will be like sounding the dinner bell for everything in the woods.

Comment

Comment

It was time to move on to the securing the lid. I went to the most reliable store out there and typed in latch. This is what I saw…

2 days later it showed up at the house like the majority of their product do. With the offset of the lid and the throw of the latch, you guessed it put the old engineering hat back on. With a little cable and some U-bolt clamps that I had from another project it was a no brainer.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X