OTC Idaho Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTC Idaho Elk

Planning on making the trip up to Idaho in September for my first elk hunt. Still trying to nail down the unit but it will be a diy hunt. I have been searching all over TBH, Rokslide, and Idfg and still feel like I have a lot to learn. I am coming to the green screen to ask for any advice or tips, for gear, or just the trip in general.
    Thanks in advice!

Originally posted by Bowdacious View Post
    Planning on making the trip up to Idaho in September for my first elk hunt. Still trying to nail down the unit but it will be a diy hunt. I have been searching all over TBH, Rokslide, and Idfg and still feel like I have a lot to learn. I am coming to the green screen to ask for any advice or tips, for gear, or just the trip in general.
    Thanks in advice!
    I've done OTC in Idaho before. I've also hunted in Colorado and NM numerous times.

I see that you're in San Antonio...would be more than happy to meet up and share what I know. I live in Schertz so just pick a place and a time. If that doesn't work then we can chat over the phone.

LMK

Comment

I think you had to buy the license last December

Comment

Planning on backcountry or truck camping?

Comment

Originally posted by dtu11 View Post
          I've done OTC in Idaho before. I've also hunted in Colorado and NM numerous times.

I see that you're in San Antonio...would be more than happy to meet up and share what I know. I live in Schertz so just pick a place and a time. If that doesn't work then we can chat over the phone.

LMK
          Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
            Planning on backcountry or truck camping?
            It depends which area I end up going to but probably backcountry, just to get further away from the crowd.

Comment

I would like to hear about this as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can never be in good enough shape. Idaho has a lot of steep terrain. Many people say they want to get back in but doing it is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
                  You can never be in good enough shape. Idaho has a lot of steep terrain. Many people say they want to get back in but doing it is another matter.
                  That's what I've heard, I am already training for it. I'm looking forward to getting in those mountains!

Comment

Start following Hunttalk.com forum. You will be inundated with so much info, it will make your head spin. Follow Randy Newberg. He has a youtube for anything you can imagine for elk hunting, from what size cooler to bring, to how to train, to how to read the land, how thermals work, what caliber rifle, pretty much everything under the sun.

I would also listen to Rinella's and Newberg's podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      Start following Hunttalk.com forum. You will be inundated with so much info, it will make your head spin. Follow Randy Newberg. He has a youtube for anything you can imagine for elk hunting, from what size cooler to bring, to how to train, to how to read the land, how thermals work, what caliber rifle, pretty much everything under the sun.

I would also listen to Rinella's and Newberg's podcast.
                      Thank you sir, I will definitely check those out!

Comment

I got some tips if you want to chat let me know. I go every year

Comment

Elk elk

Comment

Working...
                          X