Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBT View Post
    serious question, how is looking things up digitally today any different than looking things up in a library as done in the past? Same framework just a more efficient/cost effective delivery method these days
    If you went to the library it was to research and learn. If you didnt, you had to go back to the book and look it up again. The point/purpose was to learn the info. With a phone you have millions of books worth of info at your fingertips. The "need" to learn the info is lessened greatly. Human nature is to not put forth effort if the effort is not required.

Comment

A good example is the use of calculators. They are a wonderful tool. I use one daily. But it has become a crutch. When I was in school they didnt allow calculators until in advanced classes. The point was to learn the math, then after you have learned it, use it to make life/work easier. Now the calculator is being used without every truly learning the math. So 12yo kids are running around punching numbers in their phones trying to calculate simple math they should be able to do in their head.

Comment

I'm not sure of their age, but I spoke with a "Customer Service" representative yesterday with a garage door company. My parent's garage door belt and idler pulley broke and it was under warranty. We received the parts and they were both wrong. It was the wrong pulley and the belt was 2 feet too long. When I called them, she informed me that they only made one pulley. I have her the correct part number and she said they had that one in stock also.
        She then informed me that they shipped me a belt for an 8' door. I informed her I measured the door ad it was 96" from top to bottom. She then tells me, "Sir, we only deal in feet, not inches. I need to put you on hold." When she comes back, she informs me that she spoke with her manager and 96" does equal 8'. We agree that they are one and the same. She then asks me to measure the belt. So, I tell her how long it is in feet and she says I need the belt that is 233" which is for a 7' door. I give up.
        Last edited by Djwilliams; 12-08-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          A good example is the use of calculators. They are a wonderful tool. I use one daily. But it has become a crutch. When I was in school they didnt allow calculators until in advanced classes. The point was to learn the math, then after you have learned it, use it to make life/work easier. Now the calculator is being used without every truly learning the math. So 12yo kids are running around punching numbers in their phones trying to calculate simple math they should be able to do in their head.

spot on. I see this on a daily basis. Kids want to know how many points each question will be worth on a test. I usually tell them the test is worth 100 points and there are x # of questions you tell me how much I should take off. Most of them are unable to do it without there phones. I have also noticed this year that many of them had never used an index before. They are not as much dumb as they are technologically retarded. By that I mean they struggle to do simple tasks without the help of technology.

On a somewhat funny note, I did once have a kid ask if he was in the right classroom. I had called the class U.S. History and his schedule said American History. He was confused. He turned out to be one of my favorite kids. He took me hog hunting several times on his family land.
          Last edited by bullhead44; 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            If you went to the library it was to research and learn. If you didnt, you had to go back to the book and look it up again. The point/purpose was to learn the info. With a phone you have millions of books worth of info at your fingertips. The "need" to learn the info is lessened greatly. Human nature is to not put forth effort if the effort is not required.
            but kids today can't use the internet during tests - its the same framework - look up and memorize and then regurgitate for the test

I wonder if when the written word came to be there was a faction of old timers that said "kids these days have it too easy with books and libraries that have too much information in one place and it's too easy to access, in my day you had to find a man who had the knowledge you needed and have him recite it to you"
            Last edited by JBT; 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              maybe i have one at least that good. I went to subway with a friend and he ordered a 6 inch sandwich. I was next and i ordered a 12 inch wheat. She said i am sorry, we don’t have that. Ok give me the 12 inch white. She said i’m sorry we don’t have that either.

Ok i asked, what kind of bread do you have? She said all of them. I said i’ll take the 12 inch wheat. She said we don’t have that........ We only have 6 inch and foot-long’s. We do not have 12 inch sandwiches.

My mistake… give me the foot long wheat.

My friend look at me and said, i am just glad that i was here to witness it.
              wow!!!

Comment

Tell me about it i go to school with these idiots were 17 you would think they would know how to do 5 year old math at this point

Comment

ALOT.....and thank parents for most of it!!!!

New generation of "parents", who for the majority can't say no, give them what they want, and want to be their best friends.

Comment

Bottom line.......

All men (and women) are not equal. In some folks the light of intelligence is not what you see in their eyes.

Comment

We can grade a paper in class and I can say "each problem is 3 pts. Count the number of wrong answers, multiply by 3 and subtract from 100" I will get all kinds of question but at less 3-4 will be "What is the grade if they missed 3" or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or etc.... Simple math and they can not do it.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                        Try paying a $23.50 bill with a 20 a 5 and 50 cents.
                        Will blow them away.
                        Fuddruckers last night - ticket was $9.39. I gave her $20.40. She said, ok, so I owe you $10.

Me: No, you owe me $11.01
                        Her: What?? Wait... (pulls out a calculator, types on it, looks up exasperated.)

Me: What? Put 20.40 in that and subtract ... (interrupted)
                        Her, angry: I have to use the calculator! I can't do it that way!

Me: Um, ok. (Smiling at the couple behind me and thinking, let's get a manager.)

Her: (types furiously on her calculator over and over). Ok, I owe you $11.01.

Me: They taught you that common core math, didn't they? Thank you.

And people wonder why I fear for my grandchildren. At least my kids are smarter than that.

Comment

I'll take a salad with cucumbers only.... Yep, the bring me a bowl with nothing but cucumbers in it...

Comment

I wanted a Buffalo Chicken wrap from Sonic. Girl said they didnt have that anymore. So I ordered a regular chicken wrap with a side of Buffalo sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Smith2001 View Post
                              Tell me about it i go to school with these idiots were 17 you would think they would know how to do 5 year old math at this point
                              and grammar and punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                                I like me some sweet tea and buy it by the gallon at the fast food joints like Taco Casa, Chicken Express, Sonic, etc. Problem is, most of their sweet tea is TOO SWEET for me so I ask them to “custom” mix it. Instead of “all sweet” I prefer about 75% sweet and the rest unsweetened so when ordering I will say “please mix it 3 quarters sweet and 1 quarter unsweet”.

You simply can’t believe the hours and hours of entertainment value I’ve had to endure listening to some of today’s youth mull over the math trying to figure that little equation out! BEYOND COMICAL!!
                                It’s funny you say that. Because the school system doesn’t hardly teach quarts. They want you to find for example 11/72 x 32/1000 divided by 9/2 -3x to the power of 9. That’s ain’t no understatement either. The mathematical part for cashiers I blame the school system. The prissy attitudes I blame the parents

Comment

Working...
                                X