Are things built to last anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a few truck threads and got me thinking in general are things built to last anymore? Or be easily fixed by a guy and keep them going? I know we live in a use it and throw it out type of society but seems worse and worse.

People buying trucks to trade them after 2-3 years with 30,000 miles (i know some people that is their thing and thats ok)

Buying parts for things isnt always the easiest and seems those replacement parts are meant to get it by for a bit.

My truck (2012 Ram) is one of those things a burned up cam shaft at 150k miles. Known problem they fix it the same way and say bring it in when it does it again. Seems like a patch hoping i sell it and trash it for another "make it until the warranty runs out truck"

Was wondering everyones thoughts.

I buy everything I can used and drive vehicles for several years. But yes, with repair costs on small appliances and tools so high, just buying another is best sometimes

My thoughts on vehicles is I will pay 1500 to fix a problem rather than 70K to "fix" it....

Comment

210k on my dodge still going strong. I think things are made better now actually, mechanically anyway. Now the plastic bumpers and crap like that is another story. As far as the engine and trannies go, they seem to hold up better. That being said , still buy used.

Comment

Vehicles are the best they’ve ever been. I have no clue how old you are, but when I was a youngster your engine was ready for an overhaul around 80K, and that would only last for 30/40K. It was time for a short block after that. Brake jobs were a yearly affair or more depending on how you drove and what load you were stopping.

I’ve put 200K+ on many trucks in the last 15 years and some never had brake pads replaced. Even though they are stupid expensive, today’s vehicles are much better than the older ones.

Now to your other point, I wouldn’t even think about trying to work on one.

Comment

Are things built to last? Yes.

Most vehicles these days will go 300k miles before major repairs. For example, apart from the typical things that fail, my F250 has 149k on it, and the interior looks brand new, exterior looks really good, transmission and engine are strong, doesn't burn any oil (Apart from diesel). I fully expect to get at least 300k out of it before any overhaul, or trade in.

When you read those threads about things built to last, remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. No one is posting about how great their truck with 75k on it is doing, because that's what it's supposed to do.

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              No

American made sheet metal brakes are made to and do last more than a lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Vehicles are the best they’ve ever been. I have no clue how old you are, but when I was a youngster your engine was ready for an overhaul around 80K, and that would only last for 30/40K. It was time for a short block after that. Brake jobs were a yearly affair or more depending on how you drove and what load you were stopping.

I’ve put 200K+ on many trucks in the last 15 years and some never had brake pads replaced. Even though they are stupid expensive, today’s vehicles are much better than the older ones.

This. 30 years ago could you imagine driving a vehicle 100-150k miles before it needed to be worked on? We live in amazing times when it comes to vehicle technology and reliability.....anyone that thinks differently is just wrong.

That being said, for what they cost, some could argue they could last longer.

Comment

Some things are, some aren't.

People aren't trading their vehicles in every few years because they are wearing out, it's because we have to be cool kids with cool new toys.

As has already been said, even bottom tier vehicles today are incredible compared to vehicles from 20 years ago.

Comment

We live in a disposable country these days.

Comment

Here is a video of a hotshot driver reviewing his 400k Cummins, seems pretty well designed for longevity

Comment

Agree with the above. They are made better. They last longer and require much less maintenance on average than the previous vehicles.

You made a poor choice on the dodge.

Comment

My experience is that vehicles last longer than ever.

I don’t own a vehicle with less than 165k miles on it. The highest mileage one we own has 287k on it.

You rarely heard of that even as little as 25 years ago and certainly not in the “good ole days” that some like to fawn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good ole days

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            My experience is that vehicles last longer than ever.

I don’t own a vehicle with less than 165k miles on it. The highest mileage one we own has 287k on it.

You rarely heard of that even as little as 25 years ago and certainly not in the “good ole days” that some like to fawn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Yep those “good ole days “ I remember when you had full service gas stations and the attendants had to check your oil ,radiator,transmission fluid every time we filled up. On brand new vehicle’s, those days are long gone . Some stuff is engineered much better ( engine, transmission) and some stuff is engineered to have planned obsolescence ( smartphones, tv’s , computers)

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

So much this!

Cars run for 400k now and don't even burn oil! I know guys with 150k on 3/4 ton trucks that have never put brakes on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X