jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jerky

Looking at different recipe any good idea's?

No secret, this stuff is good http://www.basspro.com/Hi-Mountain-J...product/40225/.

Lay your jerky in a container of your choice, we use meat lugs.
    Put 1 layer of jerky layed out on the bottom of the lug
    Sprinkle seasoning over all the jerky, not putting too much so that it's too salty, but enough that it will taste good.
    Lay out another layer on top of the layer you just seasoned.
    Sprinkle seasoning over that layer of jerky just as you did the first layer.
    Continue this until all your jerky is in the lug (container) and seasoned up.
    Pour in worcestershire until all the jerky is covered and put in the fridg over night and hand the next day. Smoke as you want and then let it hang until it's dry to your liking. This is how we do it. The packet of seasoning will tell you roughly how many lbs of jerky it will season, and you will figure out how to season the meat to your liking by trying a few times. Trust me, don't season as thick as you may a steak. I didn't fully understand how to season the first time, and needless to say, I made some jerky you can barely eat it's so dang salty! Hope this helps you out!

Comment

High mountain. the only flavor I didn't love was the cracked pepper and garlic. All the other have been great.

Comment

Just made some venison jerky and it turned out great. After much trial and error over the years, here's my recipe:

* Cut meat into 1/4" slices and flatten/tenderize with one of these:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	24264159
        (This thing really helps the marinade get all the way through the meat and also makes it easier to chew)

* In a big bowl mix soy sauce and a bit of Liquid Smoke
        * Add brown sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder
        (notice I did not add salt - the soy sauce is salty enough)
        * Stir until sugar is dissolved and spices are well mixed
        * Pour mixture and meat in a freezer bag and shake until well covered
        * Refrigerate overnight.
        * I use a cheapo American Harvest dehydrator - takes about 7 hours

I don't use any "cure" because I make small batches that get eaten in a week or less.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Just made some venison jerky and it turned out great. After much trial and error over the years, here's my recipe:

* Cut meat into 1/4" slices and flatten/tenderize with one of these:
          [ATTACH]571151[/ATTACH]
          (This thing really helps the marinade get all the way through the meat and also makes it easier to chew)

* In a big bowl mix soy sauce and a bit of Liquid Smoke
          * Add brown sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder
          (notice I did not add salt - the soy sauce is salty enough)
          * Stir until sugar is dissolved and spices are well mixed
          * Pour mixture and meat in a freezer bag and shake until well covered
          * Refrigerate overnight.
          * I use a cheapo American Harvest dehydrator - takes about 7 hours

I don't use any "cure" because I make small batches that get eaten in a week or less.
          do you have to use cure if I put it in zip lock bags in freezer?

Comment

Good thread....

Comment

dont remember the exact one i used last but i bought it at bass pro. It was the original. Added a little ragin blaze and it was the sest jerky i have had

Comment

Originally posted by matchejm View Post
                do you have to use cure if I put it in zip lock bags in freezer?
                No - I wouldn't think so...

Comment

I had assumed cure was really to prevent the rapid multiplication of bacteria when the jerky is being dried. The meat spends alot of time above 60 degrees and if you don't get to 160 degrees for the correct amount of time, then those bacteria never die off. Curing limits bacteria growth significantly. Refridgeration does little in this area.

As an extreme example. Take a cold steak and put it out on the counter for a day. Then put it in your fridge... would you eat it?

Comment

I think he was talking about freezing it - not just leaving it in the refrigerator. The salt content of the jerky combined with adequate dehydration acts as a pretty good preservative - the cure will just make it keep longer. Dehydrating until all evidence of fat is gone is key. Any smidgen of residual fat will make it go rancid much quicker. I've made it with no cure and kept it in an airtight container for at least 2 weeks with no ill effects.

Comment

Freezer, fridge, it doesn't matter. The point I was making is that the "cure" is supposed to protect the meat during the long period of time it is in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth. If you get it up to the correct temperature, then the bacteria die off anyways. but not everybody gets it to that correct temperuature or they take too long getting the meat dry and it spoils first. "Cure" is that safety net. If I recall correctly... cure is just a salt anyways. Things like table salt, etc do very similar things in that it inhibits bacterial growth.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Freezer, fridge, it doesn't matter. The point I was making is that the "cure" is supposed to protect the meat during the long period of time it is in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth. If you get it up to the correct temperature, then the bacteria die off anyways. but not everybody gets it to that correct temperuature or they take too long getting the meat dry and it spoils first. "Cure" is that safety net. If I recall correctly... cure is just a salt anyways. Things like table salt, etc do very similar things in that it inhibits bacterial growth.
                        Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Thanks, just don't want the kids getting sick.

Comment

I use to use the oven. Turn oven on to bake and the temp. set at 180 degrees. With the seasoning of your choosing(jerkey, fajita, etc.). Season thinly sliced meat(Milanesa thin or thinner) on both sides set on jerky racks. Flip every 2 hours and check occasionally. This process can take 4 plus hours depending on the thickness of your cuts. Some of the jerky slabs might be done before others. This also depends on how done you want your jerky. Once done you can store in air tight containers to prevent meat from absorbing moisture.

Comment

High mountain is great. The cure doe just that. I cut mine 1/2" thick and let cure in fridge 2-3 days. Then put on dehydrator and jst dry enough to get a rich color. Meat cannot spoil after that. I just don't like mine to get to be boot leather. Mold can grow on outside, but just like old fashioned smokehouse cured hams and bacon, it won't spoil

Comment

Working...
                              X