Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
    Think about the nicest thing you own.
    Why don't you let strangers borrow it for free every day?

There is your answer.
    Man... That is spot on. For us, it is a home. Trust is key. That's the finicky thing about trust - it only takes a burn or 2 to pull it back. It is the liability piece for sure (don't get mulligans in a litigious society) but above that, it is opening the door to my home... To someone I don't know very well...
    Last edited by kyleseipp; 03-05-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      How is it?

They breed faster than you're hunting them. It's fun but it's not help taking a couple out here and there. For fun you can add cash payment to my list. Strangers will also not be hunting our place at night which would be the best time.

Helicopter and traps would be most effective.
      Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
        Think about the nicest thing you own.
        Why don't you let strangers borrow it for free every day?

There is your answer.
        Several really good answers but this one and the horse example sum it up best.

Add to it that we as hunters don't put a dent in the wild hog population. As mentioned above, most aren't killers but recreational hunters. That's why hog doggers are many times allowed on land for free...They make some dent in the hog population.

IMO-the only controls outside of the hotly debated poisons are traps and helicopters.

Comment

Buff mentioned in the thread earlier on the fishing situation. Same situation happened to my family a few years ago...let someone we know and trust fish, on the condition it was catch and release only, let us know when you are coming out, close the gates behind you, watch out for the cows, etc...

A few weeks later they started bringing out a friend or two, started leaving trash everywhere. Balls of fishing line left around the pond, had calves with fishing line wrapped around their leg. Last straw was them shooting fireworks off during a burn ban. Shut down anyone else coming out, then a few weeks later had a group of guys fishing that we didn't know down there. They said they had permission to fish there by the original people we let come out.

Frustrating the responsible people get lumped in with the idiots, but that's just the way it is nowadays. If my family can't trust anyone just to go fishing, how can we trust someone with a firearm on our place?

Comment

Landowner here.
            1) Liability - You hurting yourself or rounds leaving my property
            2) I want the number of hogs reduced but you can't make a significant dent in the hog population from recreational hunting
            3) Problems with previous <slob> hunters and/or horror stories of same. Read "Guest Mistake Stories" under "Around the Campfire".
            4) Land is already leased out to hunters (my case) or some family member hunts there and doesn't want anyone else on "their" land.

I'm speaking for myself but I suspect a lot of other landowners feel the same way. The hog problem is growing rapidly, perhaps doubling every year statewide. As it worsens I suspect more landowners will allow hunters on as we see crops and fences destroyed.

Comment

well i like to think i follow rules and am a trustworthy sum buck. Shoot i'm the kinda guy that slips in a store on a wet floor with no sign i'll look around for the sign to help other folks out, while mumbling under my breath how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the water. I don't own property i hunt family and too far away to be there regularly, so does a cousins husband. His friends who do not have permission to hunt there kill more than anyone, in season or not. I completely understand someone not letting folk on their land.

But if anyone in the denton area has some pigs they want killed with bow or rifle i wouldn't turn down the offer

Comment

Working...
              X