Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been varmit huntin a property for free for several years. I have built a good relationship with the owners over the years fixin fences, when I see a problem bringing them free feed for their cows when work was going to throw it away, and most importantly never disrespecting the trust they gave me by allowing me out there. There should never be such thing as a free hunt. Our family owns property as well. I don't need this property to hunt. I choose to hunt it, because it's closer, a good property for varmits, and because I enjoy helping the land owners. Being in a family that owns land I have experience with even people I know wanting to be buddy, buddy when huntin season rolls around who you haven't heard from all year. It's a tricky topic. I like taking friends with me every once and a while to our property, but I can't say I would ever trust a stranger to go with out me there.

Comment

I liken it to someone wanting to borrow my horse...

Buddy: hey man can I come ride your horse or take the GF riding down the beach?

Me: Sure bud leave me the keys to your new truck

Buddy: Hail no you crazy!?!?

Me: No but you started us down that path so why not?

So far nobody has take me up on it and the answer still be no.

Biggest thing I've seen and folks probably think I'm nuts is people looking for free hunts aren't killers. I understand you want to commune with nature and kill one pig to have a awesome BBQ like a yeti video or something but I need killers when it comes to hogs.

Dyed in the wool killer when it comes to hogs, fertilize the grass and stack'em like cordwood mentality. Someone popping one hog ain't helping one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

Biggest thing I've seen and folks probably think I'm nuts is people looking for free hunts aren't killers. I understand you want to commune with nature and kill one pig to have a awesome BBQ like a yeti video or something but I need killers when it comes to hogs.

Dyed in the wool killer when it comes to hogs, fertilize the grass and stack'em like cordwood mentality. Someone popping one hog ain't helping one bit.

The first cpl times I posted hog (herd) pics on here I got bombarded with PMs asking to let them run dogs. And the conversations when snippy when I said no, well, bc I don't want a dog on the place either.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
          The first cpl times I posted hog (herd) pics on here I got bombarded with PMs asking to let them run dogs. And the conversations when snippy when I said no, well, bc I don't want a dog on the place either.

A lot of folks that run dogs don't have a big enough string of dogs (that are honest to goodness hog dogs) and are worried about keepin' them alive to sale. Best Houndsman I've ever known ran his truck like a quail truck, 12-16 bay dogs he'd rotate out and 3-4 catch dogs. If they hit a big sounder they would catch 8-10 hogs at a time and they killed them on the spot.

A lot of folks don't understand that property owners are waaaaaaay past hogs being sport animals and are just overgrown vermin.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

Lol. Good post

Comment

Think about the nicest thing you own.
              Why don't you let strangers borrow it for free every day?

There is your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                As everyone knows, hogs are a huge problem here in Texas. People that own land often complain they are bad, destroy land, injure livestock, transmit disease, eat deer corn, etc...Everyone knows the arguments. However, for as destructive as they are, no one allows anyone to shoot hogs for free (In all fairness, maybe I just haven't found anyone that will).

The landowner position is they could be sued, don't know the person, can't trust a person, among others. As a landowner in Wisconsin, I totally understand this position. But I know that in order to have as many deer as we want on our land, we need more coyotes cleared out than we could ever shoot (Don't get me started on wolves), especially with me in Texas. We let people on our land to shoot coyotes for free. We know them enough to trust them, a clear explanation of the rules is given, and if they break them, they are out. It works pretty well. A lot of times we get something in return, like meat, or sheds, or at the very least, we get a coyote removed from our property. Knock on wood, never had an issue.

My question is, for you guys who are land owners here in Texas, what would it take to allow someone on your property to shoot hogs? Nothing, trust, money, signed paperwork? And what considerations am I leaving out of my thought process?

I am not criticizing anyone, I just want landowner thoughts.
                Here is your answer ... Either Own land or Lease land (big word here) Outright !

That's it !

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post

There is your answer.

Spot on.

Comment

There is your answer.
                    X2 which lead me to post .

Funny words like responsibility , legal , risk , etc get attached mighty quick once you buy land...

Well surely it really isn't that hard to figure out

Comment

All the previous posts about trust, etc. I have my own property, and I have hogs. In the past two years, I have more hogs than I want. They seem to get educated about traps pretty quickly, and if they get ambushed at a feeder, they "smart up" about that, too. I hate to see them poisoned, but I'm not sure they could be hunted enough at this point. Even if I put 10 guys out every night hunting them all night, the best I'd probably do is drive them over to some of my neighbors property. And my place isn't big enough to have more than 1 or 2 hunters on it, especially not at night.

Comment

This reminds me of a post years ago on here. A guy showed a pic of a t-post going up thru his front fender. He wanted the land owner to pay for his driving thru high grass with his pu. I'm to old to find the thread are the post.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          As everyone knows, hogs are a huge problem here in Texas. People that own land often complain they are bad, destroy land, injure livestock, transmit disease, eat deer corn, etc...Everyone knows the arguments. However, for as destructive as they are, no one allows anyone to shoot hogs for free (In all fairness, maybe I just haven't found anyone that will).

The landowner position is they could be sued, don't know the person, can't trust a person, among others. As a landowner in Wisconsin, I totally understand this position. But I know that in order to have as many deer as we want on our land, we need more coyotes cleared out than we could ever shoot (Don't get me started on wolves), especially with me in Texas. We let people on our land to shoot coyotes for free. We know them enough to trust them, a clear explanation of the rules is given, and if they break them, they are out. It works pretty well. A lot of times we get something in return, like meat, or sheds, or at the very least, we get a coyote removed from our property. Knock on wood, never had an issue.

My question is, for you guys who are land owners here in Texas, what would it take to allow someone on your property to shoot hogs? Nothing, trust, money, signed paperwork? And what considerations am I leaving out of my thought process?

I am not criticizing anyone, I just want landowner thoughts.
                          For free? Likely not gonna happen. To go on a lease that others are paying to hunt? Probably not gonna happen.

A private landowner, there is liability. I would think there would be some type of close friendship in order to hunt for free. Other than that, slim and none.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            I've been burned TWICE by people that I TRUSTED.
                            About all I'll do anymore is take someone out to the place. There is no more open access granted any more.
                            BINGO. I sit with any guests (read free) hunting. Just too many things can go awry. My bro-n-law killed a deer that he was shown pictures of as a no-go. I'm with them in the blind now to prevent any issues. I take that into consideration when I make an invitation or am asked, as it affects my hunting time.
                            Last edited by Gherkin05; 03-04-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

There is your answer.

Great analogy.

Comment

There is your answer.
                                Very well said!!!!!

I just picked up 400 more acres today to pig hunt with thermal/nv

Happens when you hunt near when you live and people know who you are and your family and morals

Comment

Working...
                                X